Dunlop GT501s and now...chain information

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Master Links

Post by EMS »

Chains were among the things that were replaced on both my Xes right after I got them. :!: Both have master link chains with clips. Correctly installed. Never a problem. :) Sure, I don't go as fast as Mark does, but still...

Terry
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Terry »

Well, back to the original thread, GT 501s. I have the Pirelli Sport Demon on the rear now and so far I like it a lot, real sticky and handles great. The front 501 now has about 6K on it and its definately cupping. I did change the fork oil to 20w and I like the feel much better now (not that that was the cause) but where am I now? Now that's its cupped, there is no fix for (that) tire right? Changing psi or having it rebalanced, it won't become (un) cupped right? So, since I'm feeling a bit of vibration up front now, BTW, only the sides are cupped, the 2" or so center line is very smooth and even, I guess I'll get the matching Demon for the front. Now. if I can only get one before Prospect. Good luck with yours Mark.
It ain't the destination, its the journey...

sr71cbx
Power Poster
Power Poster

Post by sr71cbx »

Last edited by sr71cbx on Sun Jun 20, 2004 11:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Tire pressure

Post by EMS »

Hey Mark: I refuse to be liable for any problems you may encounter while running lower tire pressure.. :lol: :lol:

sr71cbx
Power Poster
Power Poster

Post by sr71cbx »

Last edited by sr71cbx on Sun Jun 20, 2004 11:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

Joe Berk

Tires

Post by Joe Berk »

I run Bridgestone Spitfires on my 82 CBX and I have been quite pleased with them. I get about 7000 miles on the rear and way more than that on the front. They seem to handle well. The bike had really worn out Mag Mopus tires on it (the original tires) when I bought it, and they handled terribly, but that was probably because they were so worn. Don't have anything else to compare the Bridgestones to, but I sure like them. I run Battlax Bridgestones on my other bikes. I'm a Bridgestone fan.

Joe Berk

www.joeberkphotography.com

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Wheels and Tires

Post by EMS »

Mark:

All I have to say is, your last post was nicely BALANCED which fits your PROFILE of an individual with the PROPER GRIP on things:D

HondaCBX6
New Member & Happy To Be Here
New Member & Happy To Be Here

GT501

Post by HondaCBX6 »

I also have a set of 501s. They have been a great set or tires. 3000+ miles since I put them on new last year at this time just before Marlinton. I plan on riding from MPLS to Deals Gap, then on to Marlinton and back! On a stock '82. ~1400 miles to Marlinton :cheers: and 1250 back. Hope the 501s hold up! So far they look pretty new after 3000+ miles. But then again I don't ride like some of you speed freaks! :twisted: I rode these in the Coast Off and WON! But I was not running recommended pressures! :thumupp: I am not sure if I am going to compete this year since I waxed every bike out there by about 50 yards! Maybe I will let the winner challenge me head 2 head! 8) But I do like the traction wet/cold. They don't follow grooving. Look pretty tough for a skinny tire. And were not too expensive. It all depends on how hard you drive and in what conditions that dictate tire wear. I WILL need a tire by the time I get back hom. But by then my new FJR will be in it's way here. I can then take the pressure off the CBX.

John
Remember when baseball cards in the spokes transformed any bike into a motorcycle?

Terry
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Terry »

Had a surprise today. Picked up my front wheel after having a new Pirelli mounted and balanced to match the rear and saw that there were no weights on the rim at all. The old 501 had to have six of them! I asked the mechanic about it (the same one who did the 501) and he too was surprised so he deflated the tire and broke the bead and did it again, same result, no weights needed. Maybe that's why it started to cup by 4,600 miles. Runs real smooth and I'll know for sure on the way to Prospect next week. Hopefully this one will run and wear correctly.
It ain't the destination, its the journey...

sr71cbx
Power Poster
Power Poster

Post by sr71cbx »

Last edited by sr71cbx on Sun Jun 20, 2004 11:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

No balance weight

Post by EMS »

Very unusual :!: The way tires are molded, there is always an uneven distribution of material. That's one reason for the mark for the valve. Also, the wheels are not perfectly balanced. If the tire balancer was a MD, it would recommend to get a "second opinion" :?:

Return to “TIRES & RIMS: Tire Brands, Mileage, Performance, Sizes, Interchangeability with other models”