High Speed Weave Survey

Little mate
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Re: High Speed Weave Survey

Post by Little mate »

I'm talking about straight line stuff on the interstate.

Little mate
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by Little mate »

Are the Bridgestone the best choice for a 79.

NobleHops
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by NobleHops »

Steering head bearings are too tight.
Nils Menten
Tucson, Arizona, USA '80 CBX, sort-of restored :-)

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Post by daves79x »

The S-11s were a good choice, but are no longer made and hard to find. The main thing is to get a matched set of whatever tire you pick, but make sure they are the correct size. Yes, steering bearings too tight will cause a low-speed weave, but your high speed stuff is likely related to tires, condition of rear shock and all related linkage, wheel bearings, or swingarm pivot bearings.

The Pro-Links do not weave or wobble in a straight line if all is right (cornering is a different matter).

Dave

Little mate
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by Little mate »

Hi I just did a 125 mile trip up I 95 with some friends,and was told that my rear wheal was wagging from side to side about 1 inch in either direction at 80 . I only weigh 150lbs ,so it would be interesting to know the weights of other riders with this problem, as I mentioned in my last post it doesn't wag with a pasanger

Little mate
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by Little mate »

It wasn't steering head bearings on my other bikes they all did this at the same speed. It's a tire / weight isiue.i only have this problem with the 1000cc and up bikes. As stated before ride 2 up no problem that goes for the Wes cooley, the Connie aswell or get the right tire combo.the right tire quered it in the past. I have had this same problem on other bikes for over 35 years.

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Post by daves79x »

Something's still wrong, I weighed less than you most of my life riding big bikes solo and never had this problem. See my previous post about getting matched, correct size tires, air pressure at 40/42,(most guys don't run near enough tire pressure in the Pro-Links) shock pumped to max. If that doesn't work, something's still wrong suspension-wise. It should not do that.

Dave

Little mate
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by Little mate »

Yes I agree get the right tire combo and the problem goes away. Question is what tires for the 79.that has been my point from the start

Little mate
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by Little mate »

I'm at 40psi it's got to be the dunlop

Little mate
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by Little mate »

Yea I didn't weigh 150 most of my life more like 130 ha ha . Old age syndrome.

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Post by daves79x »

Sorry, I thought you were talking about a Pro-Link - they are really sensitive to everything. For the early models, much of the same holds true - tires, tires,tires. You have a mixed-brand set, it seems. Really, start by getting a new, matched set. 100/90-19 and 120/90-18. Several choices, but not that critical what, just new and matched. Your bike will feel altogether different. If you still have the weave/wobble - look at the shocks/swingarm play.

I'm assuming you have verified you have no bent wheels and the bearings are good.

Dave

Little mate
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by Little mate »

No play every thing checks out.its just like my cooley was back in 79 got it new all was we'll until I changed the tires then it was waging it's tail at 80 3 or four sets of tires later the metzlers then all was good. What did the cbx have as o e m tires. I think it was I r c

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

Little mate wrote: What did the cbx have as o e m tires.
Mine had Dunlops.

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Post by daves79x »

What tires came on the CBX 35 years ago is irrelevant - even the cheapest tire now is way better than the best then. Please get a matched set of SOMETHING and I'll bet your trouble goes away. Find the Bridgestone S-11s if you still can, but even the Shinko offerings are doing fine on CBXs. I think Avon makes a tire in the correct size, as well as Pirelli.

Dave

JustMike
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by JustMike »

HIya, I am new to the site and this is my first post. I owned a CBX Z back in the mid 80s. Loved the bike, but the handling did my head in.
One thing I did was ride pretty much flat out everywhere on all my bikes, so the CBX was no different as I pushed its limits.
I used to chuck it around like a 250.
Why did I sell it in the end ? The handling was driving me nuts.
Thinking back 30 years is going to tax me lol, but I`ll do my best.
I put a length of wood along the wheels as back then Jap bikes were known for not being straight and yes the wheels were not inline.
The different things I changed or added to try and fix the handling was as I`ve listed below.
I tried a different frame, a braced swingarm, different rear shocks, different wheels (still comstars). I tried a steering damper and a fork brace. I tried different fork oils and different tyres, also changed the steering head bearings.
But even after all that, as soon as I hit 85mph it was like someone threw a switch and she started fishtailing. One day it came to a head when overtaking a car and I`m alongside and crapping myself as the back end started off again.
Now the strange thing was that I could take a passenger and max out in a straight line with no bother. I even managed several fast laps of the Isle of Man TT course with no problems in 86 (with a passenger). But dump the passenger and off it went again. Back then money was an issue for me, but I looked into changing the forks. But in the end I gave up and sold it.
5 years later I met my wife and we go out on the bike together all the time. So with hindsight I could have kept the old beast as I would have always had a passenger lol.
Now I am in the process of buying another one as a retirement present to myself. Out of all the bikes I`ve had in almost 50 years of riding, the one I`ve missed most was the old girl, and I always wonder what happened to her.

Mike

Return to “TIRES & RIMS: Tire Brands, Mileage, Performance, Sizes, Interchangeability with other models”