Wider Rims: Non CBX Comstar Rims/Spokes on CBX Comstar Hubs

Passx
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by Passx »

OK guy's I've asked this question before and never got a real answer. What's the real benefit of going to wider tires and wheels other than fashion or ego or both ? We all know that a wider tire/wheel makes the bike turn in slower and harder and generally a contact patch difference between a taller and narrower tire versus a shorter/wider tire is probably negligble, strictly opinion at this point w/o taking specifics and doing some calculations. I know there are some racers out there so are there any hard core facts versus pure opinion ? One other thing to consider is the loss of cornering clearance could be substantial when you consider a 2" drop in the front and a 1" loss in the back. I too like the look of a fat tire but honestly don't see much there but a little vanity statement. I believe more to be gained by good suspension pieces than by simply adding a wider tire (within limits), so I'll put the old flame suit on and let the fire fly, been a little quiet over here anyway. By the way there is a difference of rolling resistance with a taller/narrower (lower) versus a shorter/wider (higher) tire. The only time that I could see a wider benefit is if you bump the hpower enough to cause the rear traction to be unable to transmit that to the ground. What are your thoughts ?

Steve P.

Mike Barone #123
Posting God
Posting God

Post by Mike Barone #123 »

Passx wrote:OK guy's I've asked this question before and never got a real answer. What's the real benefit of going to wider tires and wheels other than fashion or ego or both ? We all know that a wider tire/wheel makes the bike turn in slower and harder and generally a contact patch difference between a taller and narrower tire versus a shorter/wider tire is probably negligble, strictly opinion at this point w/o taking specifics and doing some calculations. I know there are some racers out there so are there any hard core facts versus pure opinion ? One other thing to consider is the loss of cornering clearance could be substantial when you consider a 2" drop in the front and a 1" loss in the back. I too like the look of a fat tire but honestly don't see much there but a little vanity statement. I believe more to be gained by good suspension pieces than by simply adding a wider tire (within limits), so I'll put the old flame suit on and let the fire fly, been a little quiet over here anyway. By the way there is a difference of rolling resistance with a taller/narrower (lower) versus a shorter/wider (higher) tire. The only time that I could see a wider benefit is if you bump the hpower enough to cause the rear traction to be unable to transmit that to the ground. What are your thoughts ?

Steve P.

I will give it a shot based on my experiences with the CBX doing econo handling adjustments/changes to the early models for 25 years.

I can tell you once 39mm forks are installed on the front and good econo shocks...say 1100fs...on the back .....that the CBX is far more stable.

The full econo changeover with 1100f front/back conversion on a CBX with rear rim widened by Kosman to 4.5"/160 rear tire is a world of difference in CBX handling at speed in tight twisties or track days plus lowers the CBX a bit which also helps.

I realllly dont know the high tech theory of it, but suspect 100 fronts and 120 back series tires have a very steep profiles/sidewall angles which do not work as well at speed in tight twisties or track days as a more rounded profile/sidewall angle that comes with wider tires especially on a heavy bike like the CBX. I can tell you the difference is amazing.

By putting just a far wider rear tire on or any other single item above will not yield the handling results stated....you are right there...it takes all the items as a package to get the CBX where you want it to be as far as handling.

Infact I will go out on a limb here and tell you that putting a wide rim/tire on a stock early model will decrease handling capability vs stock!!!!

You get on over to the 2006 Mtn2Mtn Rally and ride the all new Dawgie and judge for yourself.

BobB....you have rode stockers vs econo handling changes on Dawgie...what are your views.

Mike

Return to “TIRES & RIMS: Tire Brands, Mileage, Performance, Sizes, Interchangeability with other models”