tach and speedo pointer

mike209
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

tach and speedo pointer

Post by mike209 »

I was testing my new home made tool for rolling back the bezel from old tach I had laying around, and the pointer broke when I tried to remove it, as I expected. These are hard to find (or I did not look hard enough)
so I decided to have them 3d printed. It took 3 weeks but I finally got needles today, and I really like the result, material is fairly strong and flexible, and they cost $2.60 per piece in red color

tevan
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Re: tach and speedo pointer

Post by tevan »

I am in need of some of them needles. I would even like to see how you made your crimper. Could you post some pictures or send some to me. I am always
    wanting to make a new tool.

mike209
    ICOA Member
    ICOA Member

Post by mike209 »

tevan, roller I made required some machining and welding, but results are much better than I expected, tach on the picture is already closed back and you barely can see it was touched, I am sure when ring is painted it will be even better, as for the needles, PM me and if you want I can email you 3d model and you can order as many needles as you want
    You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

NobleHops
    ICOA Member
    ICOA Member

Post by NobleHops »

Mike, both of these are amazing.
    Nils Menten
    Tucson, Arizona, USA '80 CBX, sort-of restored :-)

Michael Vidovic
    ICOA Member
    ICOA Member

Post by Michael Vidovic »

mike209 wrote:tevan, roller I made required some machining and welding, but results are much better than I expected, tach on the picture is already closed back and you barely can see it was touched, I am sure when ring is painted it will be even better, as for the needles, PM me and if you want I can email you 3d model and you can order as many needles as you want
    Hi
    Love the work
    Can you send me the same, my needle died a while back. Interesting crimping tool. Is the face of the clock sitting in a recess. Can you send me plans for this tool?
    If you can..great. If you can't..no worries.
    Michael
    ...always walk out of the room smarter than you walked in...

EMS
    ICOA Member
    ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

Mike, that crimping tool deserves a standing ovation!!! :greetings-clapyellow: :music-rockon:

daves79x
    ICOA Technical Director
    ICOA Technical Director

Post by daves79x »

Indeed!

Dave

Larry Zimmer
    ICOA Web Post/Pix/Video Archive Mgt
    ICOA Web Post/Pix/Video Archive Mgt

Post by Larry Zimmer »

Ditto the kudos!!
    Larry Zimmer
    cbxlarry@sbcglobal.net

asacuta
    Forum Regular
    Forum Regular

Post by asacuta »

So, not only am I amazed at the work people put into their CBXs, I'm amazed at the tools they build to do it.
    Al

sweattysock
    New Member & Happy To Be Here

Post by sweattysock »

Mike ,Many thanks for sharing this!, Mine's are ordered!,..... now were did I stash these old gauges? , :text-thankyouyellow:

Jeff Bennetts
    Posting God
    Posting God

Post by Jeff Bennetts »

Very cool tool!

paulperth

Post by paulperth »

Hi Mike

Not sure of the etiquette here but I found your needle thread through google, I am restoring a Honda CB 250 Rs 1990 and am in desperate need of two needles as mine are broken would it be possible to buy a couple from you ?

Hope this email doesn't offend but I have searched hi and low for them and you have been the only credible lead

Regards

Paul
    mike209 wrote:I was testing my new home made tool for rolling back the bezel from old tach I had laying around, and the pointer broke when I tried to remove it, as I expected. These are hard to find (or I did not look hard enough)
    so I decided to have them 3d printed. It took 3 weeks but I finally got needles today, and I really like the result, material is fairly strong and flexible, and they cost $2.60 per piece in red color

LONGCLOSE
    Forum Regular
    Forum Regular

Post by LONGCLOSE »

Wow I was just about to put a post up to request anyone who could source these and found this post staring at me!

How do I go about ordering 12 of them, also anyone out there doing decals for the tacho and speedo faces?

The roller jig is brilliant excellent job.. well done on keeping the passion alive :dance:

LONGCLOSE
    Forum Regular
    Forum Regular

Post by LONGCLOSE »

Good day everyone, I tried contacting Mike209 by PM and have not had a reply, it seems he has not been active for a while, not sure if paulperth above got a reply? The work he did is outstanding, we have a problem in South Africa (and surely in other high UV climates) where all the pointers rot and fall off due to UV.

I was hoping that maybe someone has the file to get them 3D printed locally here if Mike cannot supply directly. Anyone out here who can help? It would be greatly appreciated by all here in SA and as is the case for paul perth in OZ for both CBX and CB bikes who are running around with non OEM style pointers.

jnnngs
    ICOA Member
    ICOA Member

Post by jnnngs »

Hi,

I got a reply from "mike209" a while ago, the needles (for tacho and speedo) are available on shapeways.com, just search for "needle2".

I bought a few - they are pretty good, but you need to paint them. The material used is a bit fibrous / rough to touch, but once painted are pretty good:
    20170727_171151.jpg
    In the picture, the bottom set of three being painted are the replacements from shapeways.com (those at the bottom are unpainted), the set at the top of the picture are originals being painted. Difficult to tell the difference once painted.

Paul.
    You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “RESTORATIONS: Tips, How To's & What Not to Do. Parts, Decals, Painters, Paint Codes, Painting Tips.....More”