Can I Afford To Own A CBX?

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Re: Can I Afford To Own A CBX?

Post by EMS »

steve murdoch icoa #5322 wrote: got it up to 135mph and still had two gears to go".

Steve, I think I know that guy.. :lol: :lol: :lol:

twinegar
Power Poster
Power Poster

Post by twinegar »

."it is the fastest i have ever gone on a motorcycle, i took one of those for a test ride, got it up to 135mph and still had two gears to go".
When i told him that was kilometers an hour he was not amused.
To be human is to embellish what we think we know and see.

I settled for the first CB350F shipped to Kansas City in '72 because I couldn't afford a $21 per month payment on a CB750 or $17 payment for the CB500. After retirement in '04 I treated myself to a new 2005 1200R Sportster and then in '06 added five CB750's............and that isn't an embellishment. Paid my dues raising kids, paying child support and working an assembly line for 31.2 years and now it's my turn to live. I have also supplied old classic bikes to those children I raised.
http://www.spookytoms.com/SpookyTom-MTRCCLSTF.html

"66CL160, 68CL125A, 68CL450, 69CL125A, 69CB750, 71CB450, 71CB500, 71CB750, 72CB350F, 72CB750, 74CB750, 75CL360, 75CB550, 75CB750, 76CB750, 79CB750, 79CBX, 79CBX, 80CBX, 82CB750, 84VF700S 05HDSPORTSTER1200ROADSTER"

George R. Garrison #0857
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by George R. Garrison #0857 »

I have 2 CBX's and still have neither running at present. But, there's something be said for the "HUNT". Last Wed I brought home another Ducati 748 that was offered on a local site. Always wanted a variety of bikes and now I can afford them. So, thats my story and I'm sticking too it. The bike total at present is 7 , 3 classic cars, one airplane, one large boat in service in water and 24 other wooden boats in a variety of conditions. So, the hunt go's on weekly.
And, I will be the first one to bitch and moun that I do not have enough time to use everything and why would I want more, But, "THE HUNT GO'S ON".
I'm probably my own worst enemy but I love stuff. And there's a lot of good people on here with the same habits, it makes me feel comfy with this group.
This is a great forum, thanks everyone for making it a continuing education.

Later, George in Delaware :text-thankyouyellow:
I'm into motorcycles, wooden boats, airplanes, wood working and car restoration.

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

George R. Garrison #0857 wrote:I , But, "THE HUNT GO'S ON".
I'm probably my own worst enemy but I love stuff.
I have to be careful not to succumb to the urge. I have two other minor addictions and that is photography and classic stereo. Each time I get too involved into these, I find myself buying stuff and wasting money. Then I end up with Nikon Nikkor lenses and F2 camera bodies, Pioneer Spec amplifiers and RT909 reel-to-reel tape decks that take up space and may never get used:? :?

Kool_Biker
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Kool_Biker »

EMS wrote:
George R. Garrison #0857 wrote:I , But, "THE HUNT GO'S ON".
I'm probably my own worst enemy but I love stuff.
I have to be careful not to succumb to the urge. I have two other minor addictions and that is photography and classic stereo. Each time I get too involved into these, I find myself buying stuff and wasting money. Then I end up with Nikon Nikkor lenses and F2 camera bodies, Pioneer Spec amplifiers and RT909 reel-to-reel tape decks that take up space and may never get used:? :?
And the list goes on and on and on ... I am about to succumb under the weight of my collection of over 100 vintage gyroscopes, all the way from old, compressed air powered torpedoes, to multi axis inertial navigation platforms for missiles ...
My fascination? Mechanical and electrical engineering at it's best ever. Bar none.

Aris
Aris Hadjiaslanis
ICOA # 6309
Berkshire, Windsor

Don
Amazing Poster
Amazing Poster

Post by Don »

EMS wrote:Then I end up with Nikon Nikkor lenses and F2 camera bodies . . . . that take up space and may never get used:? :?
Boy, do I *hear* YOU

Prior to the hurricane, I had a custom Samsonite briefcase with both an F2 and FM2 bodies mounted in it along with 6 high quality Nikkor lenses including 24mm, 35mm, 50mm, 105mm and two Nikkor zooms, all collected over about a 10 year period between 1975 and 1985. The FM2 probably had fewer than 10 rolls of film run through it and possibly 50 rolls for the F2 - Probably the nicest, least used camera collection around

Actually, I STILL have it. It spent about 24 hours under 20 feet of seawater and mud and the inside of the case is pretty muddy . . . . the last time I tried to open it, one of the latches on the case was rusted shut

Don

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

Don wrote:
Prior to the hurricane, I had a custom Samsonite briefcase with both an F2 and FM2 bodies mounted in it along with 6 high quality Nikkor lenses including 24mm, 35mm, 50mm, 105mm and two Nikkor zooms, all collected over about a 10 year period between 1975 and 1985. The FM2 probably had fewer than 10 rolls of film run through it and possibly 50 rolls for the F2 - Probably the nicest, least used camera collection around

Actually, I STILL have it. It spent about 24 hours under 20 feet of seawater and mud and the inside of the case is pretty muddy . . . . the last time I tried to open it, one of the latches on the case was rusted shut

Don

So, Don, do you want me to get into my parts fund and build you a "Katrina F2" ?????
I can probably improve the operation a bit by using some components off an F3... :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling:

Don
Amazing Poster
Amazing Poster

Post by Don »

Mike,

The Katrina CBX was posted on-line as a give away for free - You come take the entire thing and it's yours. The fact that it was eventually rebuilt was entirely Dave McMunn's doing and I've thanked him for it in every way I know how many times

No thanks on the Nikon offer . . . . but I had a super collection of Kieninger German clocks you could probably help me with ;-)

Don

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

Don wrote: . . but I had a super collection of Kieninger German clocks you could probably help me with ;-)

Don

I think they are still in business, aren't they??

twinegar
Power Poster
Power Poster

Post by twinegar »

This is a little off topic but would anyone care to know how close I came to buying the road this afternoon?

"66CL160, 68CL125A, 68CL450, 69CL125A, 69CB750, 71CB450, 71CB500, 71CB750, 72CB350F, 72CB750, 74CB750, 75CL360, 75CB550, 75CB750, 76CB750, 79CB750, 79CBX, 79CBX, 80CBX, 82CB750, 84VF700S 05HDSPORTSTER1200ROADSTER"

George R. Garrison #0857
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Twinegar,, what happened?

It's always nice to know the pitfalls of operating a motorcycle so we can all avoid them.

Please enlighten us. :o
I'm into motorcycles, wooden boats, airplanes, wood working and car restoration.

twinegar
Power Poster
Power Poster

Post by twinegar »

Making a turn from one suburban road to another and both tires let go, no sand or antifreeze.......or bystanders...... so maybe the pavement is glazed or something.....or maybe since it occurred three blocks from home it had some oil on the tires from the garage floor. The autonomic reactions kicked in and my right leg stomped down and righted the machine and threw me up onto the tank and bars before the bike righted itself in a utility sub-station front yard. I was so sure it was going down that I was looking for a way off the bike before it did. Several muscles are sore today, especially my right leg and foot. That was the closest I have ever come without buying it and the second time on the same corner. The first time I was on my 79 CBX and this time on my near to showroom perfect 82 CB750K. I remember talking dirty both during and after both events..........and not ashamed in the least.

George R. Garrison #0857
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Glad your ok and hopefully you'll avoid that corner.

I locked up the rear brake on my almost new '81 CBX in 1984 on a trip back from Key West Florida. It occured in Daytona Beach when a car pulled out in front of me and stopped almost in my lane. I locked up the rear brake and the bike ass end swung around almost 90 degs and then straightened up when I left off and nailed the throttle.

This was my close encounter with heaven, or correction (possibly hell at that time). No damage,, just lots of four letter works and a stop for a smoke.

Later, george in Delaware :twocents-02cents:

EliasBaldwin
New Member & Happy To Be Here
New Member & Happy To Be Here

Post by EliasBaldwin »

I would like to add a few words.
I have been silently budgeting for some CBX work this winter after being fortunate enough to find a 1980 CBX in a barn this winter (I posted the story on here somewhere.) I think of CBX parts as the Ferrari parts of the Honda world. I would assume I am one of the younger members on this forum (at 21), which means a lot of lawn mowing, car washing, and saving this summer to try and get the CBX roadworthy for next spring. The biggest cost for me is paint, which is not completely necessary (although if you say my bike, you might disagree.) For reference I am having a shop do an estimate on what it would take to get her roadworthy. Stay tuned for a number on what it would cost to get a dormant bike running.
-Elias, Vermont

twinegar
Power Poster
Power Poster

Post by twinegar »

You may not be interested but because you sound like me, limited funds?...........I will tell you about paint options. The silver engine paint can be cloned using DUPLI-COLOR ALUMINUM and is very durable and the pin striping kits are available either on Ebay or maybe here. For the color coat go to your local Car Quest or automotive paint shop and see if they have the custom aerosol system there and have them fill in the details. Just for the record, Candy Red is a match to Glory Red and if yours is black then you have it easy. Take the tank if it is red and have them match the candy red shade to a lower area on the tank that is less than faded and then go a shade darker, they can mix the color and inject it into a custom aerosol can that you can take home and shoot yourself. "BE SURE TO ASK FOR A GOOD PIGMENT LOAD" or they might go light to get you to buy four cans rather than two. They also carry aerosol urethane clear-coat with an hardener cell inside, pop the cell by pushing the button on the bottom of the can and shake well and you are all set. Then layers!.......otherwise it won't be hard for a while, I shot a thick layer on a headlight case and it took a month to cure or maybe I just didn't get the hardener shook in well. I used this system to shoot a Sunrise Orange side cover for my 72 CB750 and it is an exact match so I know it works. Below are some links for details:
COMPLETED CL125A FRAME
http://www.spookytoms.com/HONDA-PB-1A.html
CB750 SIDE COVER
http://www.spookytoms.com/SpookyTom-750-72-IPR01A.html
http://www.spookytoms.com/SpookyTom-750-72-MAD07C.html
http://www.spookytoms.com/SpookyTom-750-72-RB01A.html
AEROSOL CUSTOM PAINT
http://www.spookytoms.com/SpookyTom-CL125A-67-44A.html
URETHANE CLEAR-COAT
http://www.spookytoms.com/SpookyTom-URTHNCLR.html

Return to “RESTORATIONS: Tips, How To's & What Not to Do. Parts, Decals, Painters, Paint Codes, Painting Tips.....More”