Rear Engine Hanger Thread Repair

ajs350
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Rear Engine Hanger Thread Repair

Post by ajs350 »

I managed to strip one of the rear engine hanger lugs with all the carb related engine tilting I've been doing lately. I spoke to Dave and he told me this was a common problem and could be fixed with a Helicoil kit # 5546-8 which is the M8x1.25 size. You can get these from Napa or as I did from Grainger part# 2G936. You'll also need a 21/64 drill part# 1G519.
You can probably do this thread repair without tilting the engine but I did just to give a bit more room.
Here's the kit.
First drill out the old thread with the 21/64 drill bit. Put a rag underneath to catch the swarf.
Next cut the new thread with the supplied tap. I did not have enough room to use my T bar so carefully used my power drill.
Take one of the threaded inserts and fix it to the insert tool with the Tang facing forward. Thread it in until the start of the thread is just below the engine hanger surface.
Now insert the Tang removal tool and tap it with a hammer to break off the Tang.
Lift the engine back into position and with your tongue between your lips torque the bolt to 18 ft lbs.
Ross

Return to “RESTORATIONS: Tips, How To's & What Not to Do. Parts, Decals, Painters, Paint Codes, Painting Tips.....More”