Soda Blasting and Painting your Engine Pt 2

SanDogDewey
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Soda Blasting and Painting your Engine Pt 2

Post by SanDogDewey »

I removed the oil filter cover and the bottom engine cover before primering the engine.
I used VHT SP148 Light Gray Primer.
Once again, having the motor on the engine stand makes it much easier to ensure you don't miss any areas under and between the fins.
I then applied a Topcoat of VHT SP995 Cast Aluminum. I'm not doing a restoration, but for those who are, there are other choices to replicate the original silver of the engine.
I didn't have access to a oven, but I did get some heat lamps and got the engine as hot as I could. I rotated these lamps around the engine for two days.
I think it turned out pretty nice! I had the valve cover and alternator covers ceramic coated.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ICOA #6266
1977 CB750K
1980 CBX

NobleHops
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Re: Soda Blasting and Painting your Engine Pt 2

Post by NobleHops »

Dewey!

That was freakin' OUTSTANDING! Thank you so much for taking the time to document and post that so well. I totally appreciate it and it will be a tremendous asset for visitors.

Simply excellent.

N.
Nils Menten
Tucson, Arizona, USA '80 CBX, sort-of restored :-)

SanDogDewey
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by SanDogDewey »

Glad I could help.
ICOA #6266
1977 CB750K
1980 CBX

SteveG
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by SteveG »

Looks great! So good you almost want to just leave it out and put it in your living room. But then you wouldn't be able to ride it. Nice work.

Steve
82 CBX, 82 CB900F Project, 81 CB900(985)F, 79 CB750(810)F, 06 Wee-Strom

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

Outstanding end result! 8) With a little more prose, this would make an awesome article for CBXPress! Send it to Jan!

Also, could you, maybe, post a picture/drawing of the adapter you made to hold the engine in the engine stand? I need to build one and rather than doing it from scratch, I would prefer to copy someone else's :roll: I am a lazy dog :roll: :D

SanDogDewey
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by SanDogDewey »

EMS wrote:Outstanding end result! 8) With a little more prose, this would make an awesome article for CBXPress! Send it to Jan!

Also, could you, maybe, post a picture/drawing of the adapter you made to hold the engine in the engine stand? I need to build one and rather than doing it from scratch, I would prefer to copy someone else's :roll: I am a lazy dog :roll: :D
Here you go. I used some heavy black iron angle.
Engine Adapters 004.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ICOA #6266
1977 CB750K
1980 CBX

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

Oh sh..t , If I would have known it was THAT simple, I would have gotten an engine stand sooner :roll: :roll: Thanks for the pic :!:

kbart1
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by kbart1 »

hey guys

great info on the brackets for the engine stand. i am looking at doing the same thing but am a little concerned about hanging all the weight of the engine just on the back 2 motor mounts and not being secured at the top or front for example. should i be? i guess the case is strong enough to support the weight? have visions of the casting breaking and finding my motor on the ground in a pile of rubble.

thanks
kent

Don
Amazing Poster
Amazing Poster

Post by Don »

Just the lower two bolts are plenty secure - The engine mounts on the cylinder head aren't so much for securing the engine into the bike . . . . they are to allow the engine to strengthen the frame because the backbone of it is very flimsy without an engine to bolt it to

An automotive V-8 is usually mounted on an engine stand using only 3 or 4 of the small bellhousing bolts - They don't use any of the engine mounting bolts at all

Don

kbart1
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by kbart1 »

thanks don

will be fabbing this up tonight. all this cast alum (or whatever it is) makes me fearful of bustin something.

kent

SanDogDewey
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by SanDogDewey »

kbart1 wrote:thanks don

will be fabbing this up tonight. all this cast alum (or whatever it is) makes me fearful of bustin something.

kent
Mine hung on that stand for 5 months. I even transported it it the back of a pickup (driving old lady slow), strapped down so it wouldn't bounce, over to my friends business for soda blasting. So those mounts are pretty durable, I wouldn't worry a bit. Sure is nice to be able to flip it upside down for working on it.
ICOA #6266
1977 CB750K
1980 CBX

kbart1
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by kbart1 »

thanks guys

all mounted up to the engine stand bracket now. just need to find half a dozen freinds to come over and help me lift this 238 pound behemoth onto the stand. any of you guys live in vancouver :lol:

kent

kbart1
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by kbart1 »

just a thought here. you mentioned rotating the engine or inverting it on the stand. obviously the oil is drained out now. is it safe to totally invert the engine now. more for peice of mind than anything else i would like to know that????

thanks
kent

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Post by daves79x »

Kent:
You can rotate the engine to your heart's content. Won't hurt a thing. I just soda blasted the '80 engine I'm working on and it worked just about exactly as described here. I'll have to take some pics of my stand. It copies the original Honda one in that you only have one through-bolt in the rear (upper set of holes). The bottom rear just rests on a section of square tubing. For support when inverted, there is an arm welded onto the bracket with an adjustable bolt that tightens down on the raised housing just behind the clutch cover. This way you can split the cases and strip the entire top half of it's innards with the engine still in place on the stand. Then just lifting the empty top case half off the stand is an easy one-man job. Hard to describe, but if I can get some pics posted, you'll easily see what I'm talking about.

Dave

NobleHops
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by NobleHops »

Moderator Note: I split this topic into it's own new topic as it was veering away from painting engines, and I encourage you to keep it updated Kent!

N.
Nils Menten
Tucson, Arizona, USA '80 CBX, sort-of restored :-)

Return to “RESTORATIONS: Tips, How To's & What Not to Do. Parts, Decals, Painters, Paint Codes, Painting Tips.....More”