How to replace footpeg rubbers

Mike Cecchini
Power Poster
Power Poster

Re: How to replace footpeg rubbers

Post by Mike Cecchini »

So where are we at in all this ?

I can find the replacement foot-peg rubbers.......but not the plates that go underneath........they seem to be NLA.......so some kind of bar stock will have to be drilled and tapped. That's easy enough.

I just want to know where I'm headed before I tear into one of my X footpegs.

Thanks Don.
It's not what you ride.....it's how you ride.

Mike Cecchini
Power Poster
Power Poster

Post by Mike Cecchini »

Don wrote:That was my point Mike - They're aftermarket pieces and unless the plates were drilled with some precision, the distance between the holes could vary some from set to set, making a universal jig not worth pursuing

So long as they're factory made pieces with exact dimensions (as opposed to someone cutting and drilling the flat bar in his garage), the jig idea should work fine

Don

I found the rubber inserts ($8 each from MR Cycles) .......but the underneath "special plate" is no longer available so I bought a set of old CBX foot pegs and CX500 foot pegs off ebay in hopes of putting together two good sets of pegs for my 80.

I'm fairly sure that I can make whatever is needed...... if all else fails I'll epoxy or glue the bits together...... can't be that difficult.

Thanks Don.

My best..........Mike

NobleHops
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by NobleHops »

Mike Cecchini wrote:So where are we at in all this ?

I can find the replacement foot-peg rubbers.......but not the plates that go underneath........they seem to be NLA.......so some kind of bar stock will have to be drilled and tapped. That's easy enough.

I just want to know where I'm headed before I tear into one of my X footpegs.

Thanks Don.
The fixture project is stalled - not much to report there. Tim's sells a kit that includes the plates, rubbers and bolts - it's not rocket science to do this though if you wanted to source the bits yourself:

Size a flat piece of bar stock to fit in the 'pocket' of the replacement rubber, but not too tight - you want it to float in there with a little spare room so you have some margin for error;

Drill and tap the bar stock for the bolts you want to use;

Strip the footpeg of it's existing rubber;

Locate/center your bar stock on the flat of the now-stripped footpeg, and mark the locations for the holes you have to drill;

Drill, countersink from the other direction if you're using flat-head fasteners;

Slip bar stock into pocket on rubber;

Install fasteners from beneath, threading into the bar stock. Locktite or lock-washer.

N.
Nils Menten
Tucson, Arizona, USA '80 CBX, sort-of restored :-)

Mike Cecchini
Power Poster
Power Poster

Post by Mike Cecchini »

That's good to know just what Tim's kit included.

Thanks Nils.

Mike Cecchini
Power Poster
Power Poster

Post by Mike Cecchini »

Well ladies and gentlemen....... it's amazing what you find out when you put your mind to it. :text-search:

My foot peg rubbers were looking a little sad and I thought about Tim's $75 kit, but something in the back of my mind said there was a easier simpler.....and cheaper way to solve the CBX foot peg rubber replacement issue.

Here's what worked for me:

Find some CX650, CX500 footpegs on fleabay.....circa $15.
These are exacly the same footpegs as CBX pegs......but the rubbers are replacable.
Then go here for new rubbers... $16 pair (part # 50661-425-700)
http://tinyurl.com/422o4uy

I glass beaded my CX650 for a brand new appearance......or you can just repaint yours rattle can silver.

There you have it...... for under $50 you can have new (replaceable) footpeg rubbers. :text-thankyouyellow:

NobleHops
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by NobleHops »

Mike, that kicks ass.Awesome.

N.
Nils Menten
Tucson, Arizona, USA '80 CBX, sort-of restored :-)

Mike Cecchini
Power Poster
Power Poster

Post by Mike Cecchini »

My pleasure Nils.

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

Mike Cecchini wrote:Well ladies and gentlemen....... it's amazing what you find out when you put your mind to it. :text-search:

Find some CX650, CX500 footpegs on fleabay.....circa $15.
These are exacly the same footpegs as CBX pegs...... :
Well for those of you who decide to go that route, just consider this:

These are the original CBX pegs
These are the CX footpegs

Mike Cecchini
Power Poster
Power Poster

Post by Mike Cecchini »

Ya know Mike, if you'd spend half the time trying to be a positive influence here vs the amount of time you spend trying to make others look less than you are........you'd really be something.

Also........ if you looked at the tag on your footpegs......it says "rear". So while I didn't specifically mention the word "front", I didn't really think this was necessary because anyone who knows what his CBX footpegs look like would know the difference.

Here's the CX650 FRONT pegs with rubbers I got off Ebay for $38 and installed on my 80X. I did order and get two new rubbers, but these cleaned-up so nice that I've decided to use them...... not to mention my 80X is a rider....... not a garage or den queen.

http://tinyurl.com/3dvn832
Last edited by Mike Cecchini on Sat Sep 03, 2011 10:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.

FalldownPhil
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by FalldownPhil »

Gentlemen,
I believe that you will find that the foot peg pictured by Mr C. is a CX650T peg. Not to be confused with any other CX500 or CX650. I believe that it is from a TURBO model and is different than a CX650C or any other CX650 model.
Please correct me if I am mistaken. It sure looks like the foot peg from my old CX650T.
Best,
Phil
Last edited by FalldownPhil on Sat Sep 03, 2011 8:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
When you are up to your ass in alligators it is sometimes difficult
to remember that your objective was to drain the swamp !!

Mike Cecchini
Power Poster
Power Poster

Post by Mike Cecchini »

FalldownPhil wrote:Gentlemen,
I believe that you will find that the foot peg pictured by Mr C. is a CX650T peg. Not to be confused with any other CX500 or CX650. I believe that it is from a TURBO model and is different that a CX650C or any other CX650 model.
Please correct me if I am mistaken. It sure looks like the foot peg from my old CX650T.
Best,
Phil

Hi Phil......... thanks for filling in the blanks. :text-thankyouyellow:

I found the footpegs on Ebay listed as CX650 footpegs, so what's a guy to think ?

Bottom line: they are dead ringers for our CBX footpegs and that's the key to the highway.

Looks like CX650 Turbo footpegs will become as hot as the Suzuki GS 8" headlamp assemblies....... eh ?

Thanks again........ Mike

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

Mike Cecchini wrote: I found the footpegs on Ebay listed as CX650 footpegs, so what's a guy to think ?

Thanks again........ Mike

Ouside the box, outside the box :roll:
I am always careful about descriptions on ebay or tags on parts. And as the pegs in my picture looked exactly like all the other CX500/650 front footpegs I have seen, I knew they were front pegs, so I used this picture as it was the best I could find. In spite of the tag saying rear.

..and CX Turbo pegs are already as rare as CBX pegs. 8)

Return to “RESTORATIONS: Tips, How To's & What Not to Do. Parts, Decals, Painters, Paint Codes, Painting Tips.....More”