1979 rear seat cowl

ahlenius1
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

1979 rear seat cowl

Post by ahlenius1 »

Hi guys i am having a a hard time trying to find a rear seat cowl, that is in any kinda shape. Without it costing me an arm and a leg! any body have any leads?...As usual any help for the newbie will be appreciated!

NobleHops
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Re: 1979 rear seat cowl

Post by NobleHops »

ahlenius1 wrote:Hi guys i am having a a hard time trying to find a rear seat cowl, that is in any kinda shape. Without it costing me an arm and a leg! any body have any leads?...As usual any help for the newbie will be appreciated!
Louis Mintrone cruises these boards and sometimes even contributes content :-). If he hasn't contacted you by now, he will. They are not particularly cheap from what I have seen. ISTR a discussion about an eBay vendor that was selling fiberglass reproductions that were not perfect for shape, but were new and sturdy.

Here you go: I searched for 'cowl' and Kerry from down under posted this a month or so back. This is NOT the eBay vendor I was remembering:
kerrycbx wrote:Fellas
This is the manufacturer of the side panels and tailpiece sold by Silver and others The stuff is good kit. Called LPM. 8) KP
http://lpmreplicaparts.com/honda/CBX1000/tailpiece.html
Hope that helps, and again, welcome! I encourage you to post an intro post and tell us about yourself and your project! Don't forget the photos!

N.
Nils Menten
Tucson, Arizona, USA '80 CBX, sort-of restored :-)

Don
Amazing Poster
Amazing Poster

Post by Don »

Nils is correct of course - Stock, undamaged tail pieces sell for a *fortune* no matter where you find them. Damaged ones which have been properly repaired are only slightly less. Whichever one you buy, it's probably only a matter of time before your stock one cracks, or cracks again

Unless you're doing a 100 point perfect restoration, buying the fiberglass replica makes lots more sense. They are cheaper, *much* sturdier and will probably last you a lifetime, whereas a stock one probably won't

Don

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

Biggest problem with the tailpiece was the support frame on the '79. It had one center rubber bumper and that caused it to crack. Honda remedied that with the 1980 tailpiece, that also had a lid and a subframe with dual rubber supports. Subesequently, they sold a kit with the lidded tail that included the chrome subframe which also held the compartment under the lid. If you really want to replace a 1979 tailpiece, also get a 1980 subframe, whether you use a lidded tailpiece or not. This will help prevent your investment from cracking again.

Terry
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Terry »

It ain't the destination, its the journey...

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Post by daves79x »

Or just cut the single rubber bumper in half (laterally). That will ease the strain the full-size bumper puts on the center of the tail.

Dave

ahlenius1
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by ahlenius1 »

Thanks guys I guess IL buy a fiberglass one from the UK it makes the most sense! ill keep you posted and i will take some pics and post them...again thank you

barryadam
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by barryadam »

daves79x wrote:Or just cut the single rubber bumper in half (laterally). That will ease the strain the full-size bumper puts on the center of the tail.

Dave
Laterally? Do you mean trim the overall height where it hits the tail?

Barry

zxbob
Power Poster
Power Poster

Post by zxbob »

Thats what it sounds like to me !

Bob
Good parts aint cheap ~ and cheap parts aint good !

spencer
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by spencer »

EMS wrote:If you really want to replace a 1979 tailpiece, also get a 1980 subframe, whether you use a lidded tailpiece or not.
Just to make it perfectly clear to me, will an '80 subframe bolt right on a '79 using the stock '79 cowl? Mine is in good shape right now, but everytime I read about them splitting, I worry if I should do something to make sure mine will not split. Would it be just as good to simply cut the rubber bumper on my '79, or will an '80 subframe, with two bumpers be much better?
SCH Rochester, MN

steve murdoch icoa #5322
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by steve murdoch icoa #5322 »

Cutting the single bumperette from the '79 set-up will work fine, Spencer.

spencer
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by spencer »

Thanks! The next time I have the seat and cowl off, I will trim my bumper.
SCH Rochester, MN

steve murdoch icoa #5322
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by steve murdoch icoa #5322 »

spencer wrote:Thanks! The next time I have the seat and cowl off, I will trim my bumper.
Years ago, I remember saying that exact same thing to my ex-wife...the emphasis being on "ex"

Return to “RESTORATIONS: Tips, How To's & What Not to Do. Parts, Decals, Painters, Paint Codes, Painting Tips.....More”