Paint codes CBX

DevonCbx
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Paint codes CBX

Post by DevonCbx »

Does anybody know the paint codes For 1979 CBX. I need the codes for:
Candy Glory Red & is there a paint code for the black stripe on the tank and duck tail. Thanks
Duane

Chris
Amazing Poster
Amazing Poster

Post by Chris »

I don't recall ever seeing paint codes for the early models.

I have used Colorite on all of my bikes and while its a bit pricey, I like the quality and consistentency.

I have a code for PPG base silver and top coat candy red in lacquer if your interested.

The stripe is just basic black.

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

I don't know of any other information either other than the original Honda paint codes, which probably will not help you much anymore. Candy Glory Red was R-101C-U and the black stripe is NH-1.
When trying to reproduce a close to original match, it is important to consider that almost all Honda Candy colors were painted over a silver base coat.

Got3now
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Candy Glory Red at Last!!!!!!!!!!!

Post by Got3now »

I'm getting closer to posting the exact codes for Candy Glory Red. I have been working with a friend who works at a paint suppy store. They are a PPG supplier. We have been doing spray out cards for quite some time (months) now. It is a time intensive process as we play on the weekends spraying the various bases and candies. I say various bases as there are a zillion silvers, and the size of the flake makes a big difference in the final product. Some too coarse, some not coarse enough. Some to silver, some to chrome. The PPG 1696 looked great, both color and flake.

In the next couple of weeks/months I will post my results.. For now. We are real close with the following:
PPG 1696 "silver dollar" as a base coat.
a 50/50 mix of PPG grow orange (don't have the number off hand) and Alsa brand blood red candy concentrate.

All these products are relatively inexpensive compared to the alternative.

Today we tried a couple of coats of just the orange over the silver then the four coats of blood red.. It looked the same as four coats of the 50/50 mixture. Three coats of the 50/50 mix had a slight orange hue which seems like what we were trying to acheive. A forth coat took the orange hue away. Perhaps an overall would look better with the forth coat. Only time will tell.

Also the colors seem to darken as they dried so on the last spray out card we quit on the third coat and will look at it in the morning to see if it darkened.

I can't believe that no one else has or is willing to post their success in identifying the mix. This is a hobby after all.

Anyone care to share the code for Perseaus Silver? Or you'all gonna make me mix that one too!

DeiterPhotography
New Member & Happy To Be Here

Re: Paint codes CBX

Post by DeiterPhotography »

I'm a newbie so be gentle,,,, I'm confused?? I have a 81 that I need to paint my fuel tank and side covers so I'm searching through this form and no one seems to have a definitive answer on paint codes! I have worked in the automotive field for 25 years (yea I know cars dont count) and when ever we need to paint something we can get every paint code we need including interior colors. I asked the Honda dealer and they acted like they never heard of a paint code? I understand that the original paint would not be available but shouldn't there be a data base on the color mix? does anyone know of a silver paint that would match my bike ??? sorry to be long winded!!

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Post by daves79x »

Deiter:
Welcome, by the way. Colorite has been about the only place to buy off-the-shelf matched paint. And it's pretty good. But what has happened is that the best CBX painters have come up with their own proprietary matches for the CBX colors that they guard pretty closely, for obvious reasons. DIYs have fiddled around and some have come up with pretty good matches. Some have been willing to post their results. But that's why there is no 'data base' of CBX paint 'codes'.

I'd call Colorite if I were you and get their base and color coats. It will be pretty close if not exact.

Dave

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

PPG has a color ID system that many professional painters use. They have an analyzer that scans paint pigments and gives them a matching PPG mix. It works excellent on virtually every color except for red.
The "paint code" Honda used to ID the 81 color, "Magnum Silver Metallic" was NH110MU

DeiterPhotography

Post by DeiterPhotography »

Thanks for your help guys,,, both great ideas, its going to help

1979cbxman

Post by 1979cbxman »

Does anyone know the code for the 1980 CBX black?

1979cbxman

Post by 1979cbxman »

I just wanted to ad that I've gone to the ColorRite site and can't find motorcycle paint codes for models older than 1982. I did buy some CGR touch up paint from them for my '79 a couple of years ago but can't find the site where I bought it listed anymore (don't remember the name).

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Post by daves79x »

Colorite still carries paint for older bikes - you have to call and ask.

And black is pretty much black as far as the '80 is concerned.

Dave

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

I am a little bit ignorant when it comes to the "paint code" question that pops up ever so often. Are people asking for the Honda specification paint id or some other "paint code"?
Honda identified their paints with a "parts-code" and black was, I believe, NH-1.

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Post by daves79x »

I think the paint codes refered to earlier in the thread would be something a present paint mixer could actually use to mix the colors. You could never do that from Honda's paint codes, so they actually mean nothing to modern paint suppliers. At least that's my experience.

Goss
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by Goss »

Try these:

As mentioned before some of the numbers. Hope this helps,

R-101C-U is Candy Glory Red, NH-101M-U is Perseus Silver Metallic and NH-1 is black.
If you consider repainting Candy Glory Red, remember that Honda used a silver base coat under this.
Code for the silver base is MA1075.

You can get it from Colorite in Calif. or Penn.
Color Rite #1075 Base
Color Rite #1075 Base Coat used with #2100 Candy Glory Red for Red '79 CBX

Color Rite #2005 Gloss Black
Color Rite #2005 Gloss Black for '80 Black CBX and for striping on Red and Silver Models.

Color Rite #2015 Pliedes Silver
Color Rite 2015 Pleides (Perseus) Silver

Color Rite #2100 Candy Glory Red
Color Rite Candy Glory Red for Red 79/80 CBX

Regards

Goss
Onboard http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EqWSsdKtd64
Bike http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ofjFhEd3

NobleHops
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by NobleHops »

That was awesome Goss.

N.
Nils Menten
Tucson, Arizona, USA '80 CBX, sort-of restored :-)

Return to “RESTORATIONS: Tips, How To's & What Not to Do. Parts, Decals, Painters, Paint Codes, Painting Tips.....More”