1981 Colour???

Dave Jarvis

1981 Colour???

Post by Dave Jarvis »

Hoping someone here on this list can help, I am looking at buying a 1981 CBX, this bike looks like it is an pretty decent shape, but my quandry come with the colour of this bike, it is a burgandy red colour, and looks totally stock, all the decals are there, and the pin striping and graphics are exactly rhe same as any other 81, except for the colour. So I guess I'm asking, did honda produce any burgandy red CBX's in 1981??? Any help would be appreciated. Don't know if this makes a difference, but this is a Canadian Model as well.
Thanks all
Dave Jarvis

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

1982 Color

Post by EMS »

As far as I know, but - believe it of not: I don't know everything - :wink: :wink: silver/gray was the only color Honda produced in 1981. :!: But I swear I have seen a blue CBX which was supposed to be a "1983" in Germany which seems to have been a zillion years ago. :shock: The pin-stripes on this thing were nothing like the 81 or 82. I never talked to the owner and was not able to find out for sure, what this bike was. :? :?
I think you have found one that has been redone by a good painter using the original decal pin-stripes.

RIPPER
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by RIPPER »

Grey only for 81
Thanks RIPPER
FREEDOM WILL NEVER BE FREE!

BULLCBX
New Member & Happy To Be Here
New Member & Happy To Be Here

81 Color

Post by BULLCBX »

Seems I have seen photos of bikes from some of the foreign sites that had the 81 in a dark red or maroon color. Maybe Honda offered different color scheme in Europe. :?:
Southeast Region

Atlanta, GA

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

81 color

Post by EMS »

Officially Honda did not offer different colors between 78 and 82. 8) However, there are some stories floating around, that they sold CBXes in 1983 and 1984 :?: :? Whether these were 82 leftovers or bikes with different color schemes... Maybe our friend Mel Watkins can clarify this.

Dave Jarvis

Post by Dave Jarvis »

I had this bike into the dealer for an inspection and we went over it with a fine tooth comb looking for exvidence of a paint job, and found nothing that would indicate it had been painted other than by the factory, even where the paint is scratched it just shows primer, not silver or grey, if this bike has been re-painted, the guy who did it is an artist, and got all the decals and pin striping perfect .............. thanks for all the replies, I'm no further ahead, but it has at least piqued my curiosity to pursue this further ................ if I buy this bike that is!!! ............ it need a few things, but he only wants $4000.00 cnd (about $2500.00 us) so I'm really leaning toward buying it, to give my big 1999 Triumph 885 Tiger a little company in the garage.

Z-Rex

1981 CBX

Post by Z-Rex »

Hi Dave,

I just talked to a guy with a burgandy red 1981 CBX - must be the same one - he lives in Port Coquitlam.

If it is the same one, why did you decide not to buy it - did you find some problems on the mechanical inspection?

Thanks,

Loren

Return to “RESTORATIONS: Tips, How To's & What Not to Do. Parts, Decals, Painters, Paint Codes, Painting Tips.....More”