Decal placement

bikerdds
New Member & Happy To Be Here

Decal placement

Post by bikerdds »

I am trying to replace missing decals on my 79 red CBX. Would like to see pictures of exact placement of the chain guard decals, helmet decal, and shock decals. All have fallen off over time.
Thanks! Marty

wyly
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Re: Decal placement

Post by wyly »

bikerdds wrote:I am trying to replace missing decals on my 79 red CBX. Would like to see pictures of exact placement of the chain guard decals, helmet decal, and shock decals. All have fallen off over time.
Thanks! Marty
sorry I missed this post, surprised no one else answered...anyways if it's not too late there are lots of photos on this site to help you...if you can't find the appropriate photo let me know and I'll run out to my freezing garage and take some photos for you.
CBX a work in progress, still improving...GS1150EFE completed and awaiting modifications.....RD350, remnants in boxes scattered throughout the garage

bikerdds

Post by bikerdds »

What would be most helpful at this moment is decal placement on original 79 shocks. Pictures for the 79 shocks usually don't have the stickers intact.
Also, trying to verify stickers on oil coolers. I think I got the rest. Thanks! Marty

steve murdoch icoa #5322
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by steve murdoch icoa #5322 »

What looks like the remnants of the decal glue can be found on the Ebay shocks.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/1979-Honda-CBX ... CA&vxp=mtr

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

Here are pictures of the lower decals on the rear shocks. The 79 model only had the lower decals. The 1980 shocks had an upper one also.
What decal do you have for the oil cooler? I have no decals on these, but on some of them, is a plaque from Nippondenso, the manufacturer

wyly
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by wyly »

it appears there are differences in shocks ...my shocks were from an early April 1978 production
I didn't even know there was a decal on my oil cooler :lol: I found it on the bottom the oil cooler
CBX a work in progress, still improving...GS1150EFE completed and awaiting modifications.....RD350, remnants in boxes scattered throughout the garage

bikerdds

Post by bikerdds »

Wow, what a quandary on the shock decals. The shocks I have clearly must be the 78 or early 79. There is a narrow band of glue that would be appropriate for the FVQ with stripe above and below. My bike is clearly a 79.
My bike has the 1980 version shock on it because it is a better shock for riding. Got decals to at least make them right.
I want the 79 shock for concours events. Problem is, I have not been able to get the correct decal yet.
Does anyone know who has it? I have every other decal/sticker for the bike. It is incredibly clean 79 and has all the correct stuff. That which is not on the bike is safely tucked away. Thanks, Marty

wyly
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by wyly »

bikerdds wrote:Wow, what a quandary on the shock decals. The shocks I have clearly must be the 78 or early 79. There is a narrow band of glue that would be appropriate for the FVQ with stripe above and below. My bike is clearly a 79.
My bike has the 1980 version shock on it because it is a better shock for riding. Got decals to at least make them right.
I want the 79 shock for concours events. Problem is, I have not been able to get the correct decal yet.
Does anyone know who has it? I have every other decal/sticker for the bike. It is incredibly clean 79 and has all the correct stuff. That which is not on the bike is safely tucked away. Thanks, Marty
there is a shock on ebay like the one EMS posted a pic of it's listed as a '79 as well...both could be correct, possibly they came out of different factories, my cbx came out of the Japan, EMS may have the USA version...there are decal manufacturers listed on this site but you'll have to do a search to find them...Bert at SCM might have them http://www.sixcenter.nl/index.html , Louis at http://www.UsedCBXParts.com , Tims http://www.timscbx.com/

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

After checking, I see that the pics I took were from the original shocks of my 1979 which is a German spec bike. These had the same shocks as the 1980s in the U.S.
The narrow FVQ sticker was for the 1979 U.S. and Canadian model only.
Most decal repros are from Europe and they only have the red wide stickers as the narrow black ones never were on Euro bikes.
No idea if anyone sells the U.S. stickers. there was a place in Canada at one time, but....

steve murdoch icoa #5322
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Four? years ago, the small decal kit i got from reproduction Decals in Canada had the thin FVQ shock decals but the lettering was yellow.
http://www.reproductiondecals.com/defau ... .html~main

Maybe contact them directly and see if they would make you set with silver lettering.

bikerdds

Post by bikerdds »

Thanks to some recommendations from wyly, a source for the correct 78-79 FVQ decal has emerged! The correct black and chrome [not silver] sticker is available from BDesigns of Canada. They have decals for many Hondas. The sticker was listed as for 70-80 Hondas and didn't mention CBX.! Can use PayPal to order. Thanks to all who commented. Marty

steve murdoch icoa #5322
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Forgot about those guys. http://www.bdesigns.ca/
They also carry some decals not shown on their website.
A fellow member on the GSResources sites used them for a 1000S restoration and was very happy with the results.

gnryfan

Post by gnryfan »

I checked my old pix...my 79, ser. no. CB1-2004854, had the FVQ stickers. I don't know if the serial number range helps you or not with getting it 'correct'. Placement on mine was exactly the same as on the pic from wyly. It looks to have been black with silver or chrome lettering.
Joe Berger

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Post by daves79x »

Again, to be clear, ALL US and Canada spec '79s came stock with the shocks shown above with the thin FVQ (fade very quickly) stickers and no adjustments except for the spring pre-load. The rest of the world got the '80-style on their '79s and '80s.

Dave

Return to “RESTORATIONS: Tips, How To's & What Not to Do. Parts, Decals, Painters, Paint Codes, Painting Tips.....More”