por15 in tank, already put fuel - OK to do 2nd coat?

Shikikanzero
New Member & Happy To Be Here

por15 in tank, already put fuel - OK to do 2nd coat?

Post by Shikikanzero »

So i finished a por 15 job on my 1980 blank tank, but there were some very small pinholes that wernt taken care of, and i fear i may have done too light of a coat. will it do any harm to repeat the washout steps and do a 2nd coat of por15 inside?

tevan
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Re: por15 in tank, already put fuel - OK to do 2nd coat?

Post by tevan »

If it was me I would scrape it and find a better tank. I coated one once and had new paint on and it leaked as you say yours does. It is a luck of the draw I guess. I don’t like relying on sealant for fuel leaks above a hot engine. I now pressure check them before they are painted or fuel is dumped in them. :twocents-02cents:

Jeff Bennetts
Posting God
Posting God

Post by Jeff Bennetts »

I haven't ever needed a second coat so I personally have never done a re-coat but I have called the Por-15 tech line and received good support from them, give them a call, it can't hurt.

On a few tanks that had visible pin holes on the outside, I used the POR-15 Paste in conjunction with the coating.

Shikikanzero

Post by Shikikanzero »

thanks for the replies. guess ill try refinishing the tank. but if it doesnt work out, i have another tank ( in the wrong color ) that ill just bring to the radiator shop to have dipped and repaint it.

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Post by daves79x »

Why can't you do as Jeff said and just give POR15 a call. They'll tell you for sure.

Dave

DaveMadsen
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by DaveMadsen »

I had the same situation and I called the POR-15 folks. The POR-15 epoxy will not adhere to existing POR-15 and must be removed using a methylene chloride solvent before re-applying the epoxy. Meth chloride has been banned in California making this a bit more challenging in you live in California (which I do).

Return to “RESTORATIONS: Tips, How To's & What Not to Do. Parts, Decals, Painters, Paint Codes, Painting Tips.....More”