Questions for the ignorant w/o an owners manual

nwtk2007
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Questions for the ignorant w/o an owners manual

Post by nwtk2007 »

So, I have this 1982 CBX Prolink.

How does one open the seat up or does it actually come up. There's a key for the helmet lock but that's all I could find. I haven't spent too much time looking.

Also, I have a new seat cover. How is that changed??

Pretty sad, I know.

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Re: Questions for the ignorant w/o an owners manual

Post by daves79x »

First, remove the long-missing plastic socket head screw caps from the 4 holes in the grab rail. Then remove the 4 socket-head screws there. The grab rail now comes off. Then remove the 4 chrome 14mm-headed long nuts you find there. Then remove the side covers and loosen the 2 14mm-headed nuts found there. Then give the seat/tail assembly a pretty stout tug rearward and it'll pop off. It's not likely the stack of stuff under the 14mm nuts is arranged correctly - they never are. And be careful reinstalling the seat, the plastic tabs at the rear of the tail have to engage the holes in the fender. Also, it's a good idea to have the studs on the triangle pieces that attach to the frame tack welded. It's a real bi-itch to get the seat off when one of the studs turns too. And chase the threads in the chrome nuts and lube them well. They tend to cross-thread as you can't see the angle they need to go to install them very well.

Dave

harvey
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by harvey »

nwtk2007, You can go to: www.helminc.com

They have the owners manual for about 25.00. They also have the service manual and can make the parts catalogue.
harvey

Ride Safe and Ride Often

nwtk2007
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by nwtk2007 »

daves79x wrote:First, remove the long-missing plastic socket head screw caps from the 4 holes in the grab rail. Then remove the 4 socket-head screws there. The grab rail now comes off. Then remove the 4 chrome 14mm-headed long nuts you find there. Then remove the side covers and loosen the 2 14mm-headed nuts found there. Then give the seat/tail assembly a pretty stout tug rearward and it'll pop off. It's not likely the stack of stuff under the 14mm nuts is arranged correctly - they never are. And be careful reinstalling the seat, the plastic tabs at the rear of the tail have to engage the holes in the fender. Also, it's a good idea to have the studs on the triangle pieces that attach to the frame tack welded. It's a real bi-itch to get the seat off when one of the studs turns too. And chase the threads in the chrome nuts and lube them well. They tend to cross-thread as you can't see the angle they need to go to install them very well.

Dave
Hey Dave, thanks for the reply. I take it the seat doesn't open in the traditional style like on a Kawasaki KZ, being hinged on one side and opening like a door?

I think I can follow your instructions to remove the seat. Is the seat cover difficult to replace. I got a new cover with the bike when I bought it. The one that is one there is ripped.

nwtk2007
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by nwtk2007 »

harvey wrote:nwtk2007, You can go to: http://www.helminc.com

They have the owners manual for about 25.00. They also have the service manual and can make the parts catalogue.
Thank you Harvey,

I just ordered an Owners Manual.

Appreciate it!

cross
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by cross »

nwtk2007 wrote:
daves79x wrote:First, remove the long-missing plastic socket head screw caps from the 4 holes in the grab rail. Then remove the 4 socket-head screws there. The grab rail now comes off. Then remove the 4 chrome 14mm-headed long nuts you find there. Then remove the side covers and loosen the 2 14mm-headed nuts found there. Then give the seat/tail assembly a pretty stout tug rearward and it'll pop off. It's not likely the stack of stuff under the 14mm nuts is arranged correctly - they never are. And be careful reinstalling the seat, the plastic tabs at the rear of the tail have to engage the holes in the fender. Also, it's a good idea to have the studs on the triangle pieces that attach to the frame tack welded. It's a real bi-itch to get the seat off when one of the studs turns too. And chase the threads in the chrome nuts and lube them well. They tend to cross-thread as you can't see the angle they need to go to install them very well.

Dave
Hey Dave, thanks for the reply. I take it the seat doesn't open in the traditional style like on a Kawasaki KZ, being hinged on one side and opening like a door?

I think I can follow your instructions to remove the seat. Is the seat cover difficult to replace. I got a new cover with the bike when I bought it. The one that is one there is ripped.

Replacing the seat cover is pretty straight forward. Once you take the seat off and turn it upside down you'll see how the seat cover is stapled to the seat base. Remove staples and remove old seat cover. Install new cover the same way, making sure its aligned correctly and just staple it. Depending on your current foam state, you may need to apply thin layer of foam over it before you install new cover.
Sasha

'82 Honda CBX
'99 Triumph TBS
'01 Honda Valkyrie

:auto-sportbike:

Rick Pope
ICOA Rally Director
ICOA Rally Director

Post by Rick Pope »

When you staple the new cover, put in a staple or two at the very front, stretch it tight, then the middle of the rear, then bring in the sides. Just a few staples widely spaced so you can work out wrinkles later. Keep moving around the seat and fill in the blank spaces. Much like torquing head bolts or wheel bolts. Don't be afraid to remove a staple and re-position if you make a misteak.
Rick Pope
Either garage is too small or we have too many bikes. Or Momma's car needs to go outside.

steve murdoch icoa #5322
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by steve murdoch icoa #5322 »

Some instructions from Sargent for their seat cover.
The only other tip i have used is to leave the new cover loosely draped over the foam for a couple hours in the sun to make it a bit more pliable and possible help get rid of some the creases caused by sitting in the shipping box.

https://system.na3.netsuite.com/core/me ... c&_xt=.pdf

Larry Zimmer
ICOA Web Post/Pix/Video Archive Mgt
ICOA Web Post/Pix/Video Archive Mgt

Post by Larry Zimmer »

A tip when installing the seat onto the bike. Check the top of the frame rails for scuff marks. A bit of grease on those marks might well help ease removal the next time. And, those 4 chrome bolt thingys that go through the rear grab rail -- hand start them. AND, be certain to turn them a couple turns with your fingers before wrenching them. You won't cross-thread if you can turn 3 turns with your fingers first. Use a socket (NO HANDLE) on them if needed to grasp with your fingers.
Larry Zimmer
cbxlarry@sbcglobal.net

nwtk2007
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by nwtk2007 »

Hey Steve and Larry, thanks a lot for the tips and the helps. This forum is a wealth of information.

Thanks again,

Mark

steve murdoch icoa #5322
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by steve murdoch icoa #5322 »

$20.00 hard copy, used manual on E-Bay.
You can never have too many. One for greasy fingers and one for perusing while drinking tea. haha.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/HONDA-CBX-1000- ... r#shpCntId

Return to “RESTORATIONS: Tips, How To's & What Not to Do. Parts, Decals, Painters, Paint Codes, Painting Tips.....More”