broken gas cap?

wyly
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

broken gas cap?

Post by wyly »

I have 2nd gas cap and 20% of it broke off on one side, the metal rim underneath is exposed.

does anyone have a fail safe glue recommendation?

I'd like to use the glue underneath and on the broken faces then conceal the remaining surface crack with Plastifix.
CBX a work in progress, still improving...GS1150EFE completed and awaiting modifications.....RD350, remnants in boxes scattered throughout the garage

wyly
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Re: broken gas cap?

Post by wyly »

JB Weld...quick setting Epoxy did the job and a little plastifix to hide the crack. I could make perfect but I'm 99% satisfied with the repair as it is as the cap is only going to be used on whichever tank is not on the bike . Buying and shipping a nice cap from ebay would cost me $50-75, I did the repair for $11...
CBX a work in progress, still improving...GS1150EFE completed and awaiting modifications.....RD350, remnants in boxes scattered throughout the garage

Rick Pope
ICOA Rally Director
ICOA Rally Director

Post by Rick Pope »

When I first heard of JB Weld, I dismissed it as a hill-billy fix. Then one time, in an act of desperation, I tried it. I now have it in my garage, my shop, and my truck.

First place I used it was to repair brake pistons, on the advice of a trusted fellow CBX member, Dave Ditner. I cleaned out the pits, washed the part in alcohol, dried it, then smeared the epoxy into/over the pits. After it cured, I dressed it with a fine file and polished with emery cloth. That was in 1996, and those pistons are still in service.
Rick Pope
Either garage is too small or we have too many bikes. Or Momma's car needs to go outside.

wyly
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by wyly »

good to know, wish I had known that a couple days ago...I just finished installing my new (to me) twin pots that have a few pits in the pistons I could've tried that...I just polished the pistons with brake cleaner and a purple scotch pad and they seem to work fine despite the odd pit....

Return to “RESTORATIONS: Tips, How To's & What Not to Do. Parts, Decals, Painters, Paint Codes, Painting Tips.....More”