HELP for my 80' CBX

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Re: HELP for my 80' CBX

Post by daves79x »

Here is a current ebay listing for a red '80 Marysville bike: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Honda-CBX-/1120 ... 2091310946

Clearly shows satin side covers and owner claims bike is original. Love to know if they are 422 or 469 covers.

Dave

NobleHops
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by NobleHops »

porschekz wrote:Dear friend,
Thanks for your kindly responses. Definitively the side panels will be black, even in my bike they were painted in red. I would try to reproduce the bright of the plastic panels of the carburetor air chamber (between satin and matt bright).
Juan
Juan, I repainted mine with SEM flexible bumper coater, and it's not a perfect match for the original sheen, but it is quite good-looking.
Nils Menten
Tucson, Arizona, USA '80 CBX, sort-of restored :-)

NobleHops
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by NobleHops »

OK, just for fun, I swapped messages with a seller on eBay. This bike:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/112091310946

The VIN indicates Marysville production. I asked him to inspect the sidecovers and he confirmed a 469 part number, and it clearly has satin covers...

...like Dave said :-)
Nils Menten
Tucson, Arizona, USA '80 CBX, sort-of restored :-)

wyly
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by wyly »

I thought all the '79's were all matte and the 80's gloss...

I challenged an ebay seller who claimed his red '79 was original/unrestored, it had gloss side covers and a lid on the tail cowl...I've seen others make same claim explaining that they were a dealer mounted options ...it's possible a dealer put '80 parts on a '79 but are they legitimate oem '79's...
CBX a work in progress, still improving...GS1150EFE completed and awaiting modifications.....RD350, remnants in boxes scattered throughout the garage

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Post by daves79x »

You are correct - there were no '79s produced with gloss side covers and a tail trunk. The '80s are where the variances seem to be. But all '80s had the trunk.

Dave

Return to “RESTORATIONS: Tips, How To's & What Not to Do. Parts, Decals, Painters, Paint Codes, Painting Tips.....More”