Tail cowl lid seal/gasket

Bucko
New Member & Happy To Be Here
New Member & Happy To Be Here

Tail cowl lid seal/gasket

Post by Bucko »

Hi Folks:

Hope you don't mind me posting this question related to a CB750F but I think it may apply to a CBX's as well. Some CBX models came with a tail cowl that has a hinged and keyed 'door' for access to a compartment under the tailpiece. Some euro and Asian CB750F's also came equipped with a similar cowl door. Since the 'gasket' or 'seal' is long since discontinued by Honda, I'm wondering if anyone has found a source for a suitable seal replacement. The seal/gasket is made of rubber (or something similar), and it's flat "L" shaped profile is about 1/4 in wide, by 1/8in high (very rough measurements). The full seal is roughly rectangular and the door fits on top of and inside the seal (if that makes any sense). Thanks for any advice.

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Re: Tail cowl lid seal/gasket

Post by daves79x »

Welcome! CBXs didn't have a seal on the '80 tail cowls. But good luck with your search.

Dave

hondaman160mph
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by hondaman160mph »

Rubber weather strip is available on eBay in many different sizes and profiles. You might find something that would work.

Jeff Bennetts
Posting God
Posting God

Post by Jeff Bennetts »

Have you googled the part number yet? , had to ask.

Spooky#1
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by Spooky#1 »

I have some vinyl trim used to cover the sharp edge of a seat pan on older Honda's so it doesn't cut a new seat cover. It fits the inner lid seat perfectly and makes it look much better cosmetically. I will permanently attach it with contact cement so if it shrinks over time i can remove it and the glue in a replacement. The lid clears the vinyl after a minor adjustment and provides tighter clearance thus keeping water out.

steve murdoch icoa #5322
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by steve murdoch icoa #5322 »

Do you remember where you bought the trim?
Some place like Harbour Freight?

Spooky#1
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by Spooky#1 »

I think it came with a seat cover either for my CL160 or CL125A and probably off eBay. The trim is probably called lace.

Return to “RESTORATIONS: Tips, How To's & What Not to Do. Parts, Decals, Painters, Paint Codes, Painting Tips.....More”