Whats worth keeping?

toybldr
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Whats worth keeping?

Post by toybldr »

I am new to the CBX world but after buying a red 79 with sport kit last year I decided to look for another to do a resto mod type build. Well since I cant say no to a deal I have since bought 4 more. One is a project 79 that is about 3/4 complete and modified with 900F and 1100F suspension. The seller had another red 79 that he wanted to be part of the deal so I too both. This week I purchased a black 80 with 17000 kilometers. This also came with some extra baggage being a 1981 with 6000 miles on it but quite a few bits are missing including an ownership (title) . My question is what parts are worth keeping from the 81? I really don't want to part it out but I know some parts are interchangeable with the 79-80 and some are preferred. :text-thankyouyellow:

FalldownPhil
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Re: Whats worth keeping?

Post by FalldownPhil »

I don't know how difficult it would be to get a new title for the '81 in Canada, but if you can, it is worth much more with a title.
If you have room to park it for a while, it might be good to keep it around while you are working on the others. A great deal of the parts are interchangeable
between years including engine and front suspension and parts thereof.
Best,
Phil
When you are up to your ass in alligators it is sometimes difficult
to remember that your objective was to drain the swamp !!

toybldr
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by toybldr »

Thanks Phil. I have our MTO (DOT) printout that shows the prior owners and will try to do a search. The last time it changed hands was in 1983. I may just get rid of the 1981+ parts and keep it as a roller/engine stand. The pipes were already installed on the 79 as well as the carbs were removed. The gauges are also off of it. The seller was going to put on the 79 as the speedo and housing was damaged during a slow speed tip over.

wyly
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by wyly »

In Alberta you only need a bill of sale to register, not much of a deterrent for theft and fraud.
CBX a work in progress, still improving...GS1150EFE completed and awaiting modifications.....RD350, remnants in boxes scattered throughout the garage

Return to “RESTORATIONS: Tips, How To's & What Not to Do. Parts, Decals, Painters, Paint Codes, Painting Tips.....More”