Restoration advice for my 79

HCDawg
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Restoration advice for my 79

Post by HCDawg »

I owned the bike since 1984, having a need for speed rebuilt the engine and had it bored to 1147cc in 1987, sold it in 1988 to a friend. He rode it for one year then stored it in a climate controlled warehouse until i bought it back this year. Theres no brake fluids, he didnt drian the carbs, clutch handle and throttle are seized. I know the carbs need rebuilding, bought the kits and nixon’s book. What should i expect from the motor? I’m gonna change the oil, I’m gonna scope the cylinders with a camera looking for rust, If I dont see any I’ll put oil or diesel into each cylinder and hand turn the engine with the valve cover off looking for seized valves. Am i on the right track? Alternativly i was thinking of taking the engine to a Honda mechanic to strip it and put a new gasket package in.....Need your help!!!

steve murdoch icoa #5322
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Re: Restoration advice for my 79

Post by steve murdoch icoa #5322 »

In your area finding anyone to take on a rebuild of a CBX engine, let alone someone competent would be difficult and very expensive.
I would proceed cautiously with the game plan you have laid out.
Taking the clutch apart for inspection might be a good idea as well. Could be just a seized cable, could be damaged plates.

Return to “RESTORATIONS: Tips, How To's & What Not to Do. Parts, Decals, Painters, Paint Codes, Painting Tips.....More”