Who knows about chrome ??????????????

Phil
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Who knows about chrome ??????????????

Post by Phil »

Was told by a custom chrome plater today that when doing bike exhuast pipes that they do not copper them like a show chrome job as it will cause the plating to pop off or bubble. Any body know about this, I`ve never heard of this before but he sounded like he knew what he was talking about.

Phil
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Re: Who knows about chrome ??????????????

Post by Phil »

By the way ,this question came up when we were talking about welding and fixing small dents on the pipes.

Don
Amazing Poster
Amazing Poster

Post by Don »

I had a set of the exhaust collars custom plated. As it was expelained to me, they don't use any copper as you say because the extreme temperature variations will cause it to bubble and flake

He told me they zinc plate the aluminum like a primer, sand/buff off most of that first coat and then apply another, then nickel over the zinc and finally chrome

Don

Phil
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Phil »

Well maybe this guy does know what he`s talking about, sure sounded like he does. Doing used exhuast pipes did not seem to bother him at all, some platers don`t even want to talk about it. Guess I`ll send him the Z1R turbo pipes for plateing. Hope they turn out nice. :pray:

Return to “RESTORATIONS: Tips, How To's & What Not to Do. Parts, Decals, Painters, Paint Codes, Painting Tips.....More”