Oil additives

Rich Pleines

Oil additives

Post by Rich Pleines »

Any thoughts out there about adding oil additives to higher millage CBXs. I have an 81 with 51,000 miles and an 82 with 53,000 and wonder if adding Lucas oil additive or other products might be beneficial. I started adding STP with every oil change on my 1994 Saturn Wagon at 150,000 miles and now have 230,000 with no problems. Although I know automibile and motorcycle oils are different , my 82 was starting to burn oil at a rate of one quart every 700 miles so I tried MAX Life 10-30 auto oil for "cars with over 75,000 miles". One of its claims to fame is that it reduces oil consumption. I Left it in for 1000 miles with no loss of oil, changed back to Spectro synthetic blend and only needed to add oil after 1500 miles after changing back to the Spectro. I was reading about Lucas Oil Additive/oil stableizer and it says its safe for motorcycles and can be used with synthetic, blends etc. and reduces this and that, cures the common cold and so on. I actually bought a quart of it but I am afraid to put it in. I understand the CBX has a wet clutch and most of this stuff is no good anyway, however, what do you think???? :?:

sr71cbx
Power Poster
Power Poster

Post by sr71cbx »

--
Last edited by sr71cbx on Mon May 17, 2004 9:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mike Barone #123
Posting God
Posting God

mobil 1 might cut oil consumption and smoking on cbxs

Post by Mike Barone #123 »

hi rich

for whats it worth my 80...da dawgie...has 100k miles on it and i have used mobil 1...i think the weight is 15-45 after mine started to burn oil a bit and smoke at 50k mark .....

once i put it in i noticed the following

1. decreased oil consumption

2. somewhat better shifting

3. occasional blue haze totally gone

4. some weeping at valve cover and a few other areas (knock on pure synthetics are the contribute to oil leaks....seems to be true in my case but small price to pay.)

that was 50k miles ago and all is still fine ...assuming redline is not exceeded which will bring back xcess oil consumption again (see track day article in summer xpress)

give it a try ....you can do it for $20 or so for the oil ...and see if it cuts your oil consumption and smoking....if it does as a bonus you are also adding getting a great oil in the process. if it doesnt, call me i have another alternative that worked on my ole car you might try

anyone else have a view

rich ..great to hear your rally went so good....lets talk to jeff b and try for a combined regional rally like we discussed next year...maybe north east national.....its time

mike

Rich Pleines

Post by Rich Pleines »

I started adding Lucas Oil Additive/oil stableizer to my higher mileage CBX's. when changing the oil. I started by adding 1/2 quart at oil change[ Spectro blend oil] and puting in the other 1/2 quart when needed. The result is no smoking during heavy acceleration and little or no oil consumption between oil changes which I do every 2500 miles. The bike shifts better, runs smoother and generally better. People have told me its snake oil, I'm nuts etc. however it works. I have had the same result in my cars with this stuff. I am thinking about taking a bath in it to see if it will make me thin, rich, young and goodlooking. Its my secret sauce!!!

If use it don't tell anyone or they will think your crazy too. I'll let you know the result of the bath. Maybe its made with bananas. Rich :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana:

Return to “OILS: Specs, Opinions, Preferences, and more”