What engine oil are you using

RIPPER
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by RIPPER »

I've been using 0-30wt Mobil 1 in all my bikes truck and Snapper lawn mower for years.What you have to look at is temp viscosity index AND SHEAR RATE! My 0-30 synthetic has much better properties than most Dino oils.Porche is now calling for 0-40wt in there new cars and I think Audi is too.Just switched the Concours over to 5-40 Shell Rtella Diesel Synthetic cause I coldn't get Mobil 0-30 on sale.Noticed the finally are carrying the 0-40 in Walmart.
Thanks RIPPER
FREEDOM WILL NEVER BE FREE!

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Oil

Post by EMS »

Wow! :shock: That's not a bad price at all for the synt. Mobil bike. Only synthetic I use is an Agip formula in the race bikes and I also use that in the Ducati street bike. But I pay around 5.00/quart and I buy this in 5 gallon containers. :roll:

RIPPER
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by RIPPER »

I paid $76 for a CASE of 6 Gallons of Shell Rotella 5-40 diesel Synthetic at Walmart.I just bought a 5 qt bottle of Mobil 1 for $18.76 from Walmart last Sunday.Chris the Shell rating is better than the Mobil 1 motorcycle oil even at $4.63 which we never see around here.Here the motorcycle oil is $8 a quart.

I'm waiting to see if the Connie shifts the same or better with the Shell but I think I'll stick with it even if it doesn't as long as I can get it for that price.
Thanks RIPPER

cbxchris

Post by cbxchris »

Ripper the place where you got the synthetic lube is the same place with the bike oil. Rex Oil is hard to beat on prices for mobil products. Just for info purposes thier # is 336 472 3000. Just trying to help someone if they need oil...hope this is not considered spam.

RIPPER
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by RIPPER »

Chris,any time you save somebody money it AIN'T Spam as far as I'm concerned.I'm not sure about shipping oil.I just found out that gear oi is considered hazzardous material.Alot of companies selling Redline Gear oil now have stopped selling it on the internet because of shipping.Ridiculous!
Thanks RIPPER

Don
Amazing Poster
Amazing Poster

Post by Don »

I've read (two or three different places) that synthetic oil isn't really recommended as it makes the clutches slip (more than they otherwise would) and that this is especially true for Honda OEM clutches.

Any thoughts? Do you "synthetic guys" all have aftermarket clutches?

Thanks,

Don

andy
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by andy »

Motorcycle specific synthethics, like Mobil 1 MX4T, have special additives/properties taking into account that wet clutches share oil w/ motor and do not cause that problem.
75 Kawa F7, 71 CB500-4, 79 750F, 82 750 Sabre, 83 Suzuki XN85 TURBO, 81 CBX, 69 CB750 X 14 (like those old Honda's a little)

RIPPER
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by RIPPER »

YEAH My clutches slip so BAD I only get 45 MPG on most of my CBX's with smaller rear sprockets.Probably get 80MPG if I used Motorcycle specific oil.OH and my Concours with sidecar slipped so badly today going to Lake George I only got 247 miles before going on reserve.GOT TO GET ME SUM O THAT MOTORCYCLE SPECIFIC SHIT BEFORE I USE ALL THE GAS IN THE USA.
Thanks RIPPER

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Synthetics

Post by EMS »

Come on, Ripper, don't be cynical :!: :!: You may just have been lucky.

I think most people in the motorcycle world agree, that automotive spec synthetics, like any "new" automotive oils with friction reducers have no place in a motorcycle - except maybe in a Harley, which has seperate engine oil from clutch and tranny.

RIPPER
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by RIPPER »

Lucky 18 times? I don't tink so.
Thanks RIPPER

sr71cbx
Power Poster
Power Poster

Post by sr71cbx »

--
Last edited by sr71cbx on Mon May 17, 2004 9:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cbxrider80

oil

Post by cbxrider80 »

I've been reading all the hoopla bout oil. What I've gathered is a petro. based oil 20-50 is fine. The syn. oils are better wear inhibitors, but have problems with leaks and clutch slippage. I've owned two '80 models in the last 20 years and GTX 20-50 always seemed to do the job. Not too say that in 100' heat in Texas, sitting in traffic the old X would get somewhat noisey. I like the idea of less wear, but I dislike the thought of my engine leaking and my clutch slipping that much more! I just ride now and then, so would the petro. based 20-50 be more to my bike's liking?

cbxrider80

oil

Post by cbxrider80 »

I've been reading all the hoopla bout oil. What I've gathered is a petro. based oil 20-50 is fine. The syn. oils are better wear inhibitors, but have problems with leaks and clutch slippage. I've owned two '80 models in the last 20 years and GTX 20-50 always seemed to do the job. Not too say that in 100' heat in Texas, sitting in traffic the old X would get somewhat noisey. I like the idea of less wear, but I dislike the thought of my engine leaking and my clutch slipping that much more! I just ride now and then, so would the petro. based 20-50 be more to my bike's liking?

cbxrider80

oil

Post by cbxrider80 »

andy
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by andy »

Another advantage w/ motorcycle synthetic oil is u can go 3-4 times the miles between changes, and because of this, it DOES NOT cost more than fossil oil. Plus you save yourself a couple of hours dumping and recycling the oil. Combine that w/ higher temperature protection, its a no-brainer if you pile up the miles.
75 Kawa F7, 71 CB500-4, 79 750F, 82 750 Sabre, 83 Suzuki XN85 TURBO, 81 CBX, 69 CB750 X 14 (like those old Honda's a little)

Return to “OILS: Specs, Opinions, Preferences, and more”