What engine oil are you using

arsey51
New Member & Happy To Be Here
New Member & Happy To Be Here

What engine oil are you using

Post by arsey51 »

Curious as to which oil seems to be the best for the mighty CBX - my engine is stock, no turbos or superchargers - I'm assuming the standard Honda engine oil good enough, or is there a brand you guys prefer and suggest.

Thanks
ARSEY51

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Oil

Post by EMS »

O-oh :shock: You better duck :!: You are (re-)starting something known as the "oil thread". :oops: You can find it here in the tech talk section. Just check all the pages. :arrow:

sr71cbx
Power Poster
Power Poster

Post by sr71cbx »

--
Last edited by sr71cbx on Mon May 17, 2004 9:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jim-Jim
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Engine Oil

Post by Jim-Jim »

Well, without re-opening the 'oil thread'; I did a TON :shock: of research, looking all over and reading everything in sight. I'm switching over to the Shell Rotella T Synthetic 5W-40; I think it will do everything better and at a better price. But opinions are what make the world go 'round. :P

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Oil

Post by EMS »

Jim-Jim:

My only concern would be the lower end of the range 5W...

I am not operating my bike at subzero ambient temperatures, and I do not need oil with the capacity to flow that thin. As heat is more of an issue than frost, in my opinion, a 20W-50 provides better performance.

Oils

Post by Oils »

EMS:

You should do more research on modern oils & and their properties

the lower numbers do not mandate they are only for lower temps, but also for the closer tolerances.

Also the newer oils help reduce the "dry" start-up conditions, and will stand up to higher operating temps.

CBX'r

Mobile, AL

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Oils

Post by EMS »

CBXer:

Thank you very much for the quick education. :) Help is always appreciated. 8)

I have a two bike raceteam in the AMA circuit and oils are very important to me. :!: I use "newer" oils in all bikes, mainly because it is tough to get the "old" stuff. :wink: I try to stay away from the "really new stuff" with all the friction inhibitors, but I guess you are not talking about these, are you? But a 5W... oil has certain properties which make this oil more suitable for "year 'round" usage, also in cold weather. That's why the 5W.. rating. I just don't consider it the best oil for my use from April/May through October, because the low viscosity component is a disadvantage.

Tom Whaley
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

OIL THREAD MONSTER!!!

Post by Tom Whaley »

Myself, I'll just stick with my old stand by TORCO 10w/40 until I hear of bonafide oil related problem with a CBX.
Tom Whaley

"aka" The Rocketman

Take care of your CBX's and each other.

Because a club is suppose to be fun. "TIM WARE"

sr71cbx
Power Poster
Power Poster

Post by sr71cbx »

--
Last edited by sr71cbx on Mon May 17, 2004 9:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fondahonda
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by Fondahonda »

My shop manual doesn't mention 5W, so I'm curious what made you choose it. Golden Spectro 20W50 for me. Probably wouldn't be my pick, but that's what the previous owner used, and I'd rather stick with it than switch.

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Oils

Post by EMS »

The reason the shop manual does not mention certain oil configurations is, some oil weight ranges were not available back in 1979 when the manual was written. :idea: This also means, however, that our CBX does not require some properties "new" oils have to offer for "modern" engines with thighter tolerances to improve fuel consumption. :!:

I agree with the 20W50 pick for mine. The brand? Pick whatever has the least aftertaste. :wink:

cbxchris

Post by cbxchris »

The rotella that he is talking about is 15w40w.I run it in everything. Don Smith did a exhaustive test a couple years ago on oils in MCN and has two new articles coming out in sport rider this month and next. Although in his articles the correct synthetic is usually better with 10 bikes its hard for me to see the logic in 5 dollar a quart oil. Most of my bikes except for a BMW never see a 1000 miles without a oil change.I have ran rotella in 400+ HP suzuki pro mods,200HP hayabusa`s,etc,etc. It won the MCN test for dino oil and it is not star burst(new EPA regulations) oil. I`ll agree if I had only one or two bikes to change oil in I would probably go syn but I`ve tried several and honestly the bikes didn`t shift as good and leaked oil more. But I do know that it does offer more protection. I just wish I could still get the good old kendall GT-1.

Fondahonda
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by Fondahonda »

He specified synthetic, and 5W40 appears to be the only grade offered...

http://www.rotella.com/

sr71cbx
Power Poster
Power Poster

Post by sr71cbx »

--
Last edited by sr71cbx on Mon May 17, 2004 9:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cbxchris

Post by cbxchris »

Sorry my mistake...I didn`t see the synthetic part. :oops: I use the dino oil. If I were going to spend that much I for sure would go with a bike synthetic oil. I`m lucky I have a Mobil distrbutor in town...last I checked they got 4.63 a quart for mobil bike oil.

Return to “OILS: Specs, Opinions, Preferences, and more”