Which oil to use?

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Re: Which oil to use?

Post by daves79x »

Most aftermarket plates have the spiral pattern as the Honda ones - don't know how you would tell them apart. But if the grooves are at 90 degrees to the plate, then they are for sure aftermarket.

Dave

bigbob81
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by bigbob81 »

Hey guys!
Anyone ever thought of using Zmax in their CBX engines? I have an 81, and am sure it has burned lots of
ethanol fuel. The carbs were full of gunk when i drained the bowls.(they are over at Old School Carbs for a complete
rebuild) I wonder if the valves & piston tops may be gunky too. It ran really well before I put it up, with the
exception of a hanging idle after warm up. Any thoughts? I don't want to put anything in that would cause it
harm. Zmax seems to be a very thin micro-oil. Don't want it seeping past any of the oil gallery plugs
in the bottom end.
bigbob81

WEAtkins
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by WEAtkins »

Has anyone had any experience with running silkolene 4t oil? I am on an 81 coming up on 80,000 miles. Would the 20/50 be fine for summer? Thanks Bill

chrispyduck
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by chrispyduck »

Just catching up on this old thread as i am new to cbx ownership. Despite my preference towards 10/40 semi synthetic for my bikes (Z1, GPZ 900) i have been advised by the previous owner (ex boss of Honda UK) and ythe UK owners club to use a high quality 20/50 mineral oil.

Can someone confirm this is ok for my bike?

Chris

Larry Zimmer
ICOA Web Post/Pix/Video Archive Mgt
ICOA Web Post/Pix/Video Archive Mgt

Post by Larry Zimmer »

To bigbob: I don't know anything about the Zmax oil. However, I thought I'd pass this on to you with the carb rebuild. (If you hadn't thought of it.) I highly recommend replacing the rubber 'manifolds' that connect the carbs to the engine. After 40 years and how many miles, those things become hard as bricks; and, they don't seal nearly as well as one might think they are. A few bucks. But, worth the trouble. Check with Bill Brint at TIMS. Be certain to tell him which model year as there is a difference.
Larry Zimmer
cbxlarry@sbcglobal.net

Return to “OILS: Specs, Opinions, Preferences, and more”