Clutch slipping

Don W

Clutch slipping

Post by Don W »

My Clutch is slipping from a rolling start if you accelerate hard it will slip. I noticed that the lever on the side of the case doesn't go all the way down when I release the clutch. But if I reach down and push the lever down about a quarter inch more manually it doesn't slip. Does this sound like a bad cable or an adjustment.

Thanks Don

sr71cbx
Power Poster
Power Poster

clutch slippage?

Post by sr71cbx »

Don,

What you describe sounds to me like a binding cable and/or bad adjustment--------replace the cable and readjust the clutch accordingly(run screw in all the way and 1/4 turn back out,lock'er down),if it still slips,then it's time for some gorilla springs and/or new plates.Use stock friction plates,they work better than any aftermarket set I've tried. 8)

george g
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by george g »

Mark,

You mention adjusting the screw...when you do this should the clutch cable be slack at both ends first? Interesting that you only back it off a 1/4 turn. I've only done it once and am still learning, and based on what the Honda shop manual suggests, I quote...

"Turn the adjusting screw in until a slight resistance is felt. From this position, turn the clutch adjusting screw counterclockwise 1 turn, and tighten the lock nut."

Is it that each bike is set up slightly different from the factory? What is everyone elses' experience?
Later!

George.

sr71cbx
Power Poster
Power Poster

clutch adj......

Post by sr71cbx »

george g,

The cable should have its adjustments backed off all the way,then turn in the screw till it hits resistance(actuator arm should move downward at the end of adjustment screw travel),then back off 1/4 to 1 turn,just as long it allows good clutch disengagement after adjusting freeplay out of the cable.

Worked for me all these years! 8)

george g
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by george g »

Thanks Mark.
Later!

George.

Return to “ENGINES: Maintenance, Performance, Parts Sources”