Noise from Clutch Area

george g
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Noise from Clutch Area

Post by george g »

There is a lot of noise coming from the clutch area of my '79. It is more pronounced when the engine has warmed up or is hot. I can't hear it when I'm moving (not to say it is still making it). I tried adjusting the clutch cable and the little screw (and locking nut) on the side of the clutch cover (behind the clutch-adjusting cap) but that did not help. I followed the Honda shop-manual procedure...

- loosen the lock-nut

- turn the screw clockwise until you feel slight pressure

- back the screw off a full turn

- tighten the lock-nut

Any ideas what else could be making this noise? How serious?

Thanks.
Later!

George.

RIPPER
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by RIPPER »

Clutch basket.One fix is to replace it with an 81-82 basket.Also I think the guy is in Germany (Achim?) who re rivets them to sto the rattle.
Thanks RIPPER
FREEDOM WILL NEVER BE FREE!

broook
Power Poster
Power Poster

clutch rattle

Post by broook »

I just replaced the clutch on my 80 with a basket from a 79 that I bought to experiment with. I shimmed the rubbers inside with 10 thou shimstock and replaced the rivets with bolts. It cut down on the rattle about 80%. I then balanced the carbs and it took care of another 10%. Sounds a lot better than it did last year but i still have a trace of rattle that i have been told comes from the jackshaft.

Land_Shark
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by Land_Shark »

Isn't the looseness/rattle from the primary shaft the reason they went with the locking collar up against the primary gear on the later models? I'm putting one from an '82 into my '79 motor and I'm hoping it will eliminate any problems in that area.

RIPPER
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by RIPPER »

George,email me at my regular address,I can't get in to read your private message.
Thanks RIPPER
FREEDOM WILL NEVER BE FREE!

Return to “ENGINES: Maintenance, Performance, Parts Sources”