Another tach issue

Fred Garvin
New Member & Happy To Be Here
New Member & Happy To Be Here

Another tach issue

Post by Fred Garvin »

Greetings,
82 cbx here. I seem to have a squealing tach cable /drive issue. I replaced the cable then lubed with dry slide and installed correctly. It worked for a while, then started squealing with an intermittent tack presentation like the cable end in the tach housing was skipping/slipping. No leaking at the valve cover fitting. Can the drive unit in the valve cover be at fault ( I have not had the vale cover off for some time) or is there a quality issue with tach cables?

Thanks.

cross
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Re: Another tach issue

Post by cross »

Check the alignment of the speedo unit at the wheel. Once i didn't align it properly so the cable wasn't straight and it was noisy and tach needle was jumpy.
Drive unit can be taken out without taking the valve cover off but i doubt it's that. You'll most likely need to service your tachometer
Sasha

'82 Honda CBX
'99 Triumph TBS
'01 Honda Valkyrie

:auto-sportbike:

cross
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by cross »

Oh, and check cable routing too! There should be proper cable routing in the manual
Sasha

'82 Honda CBX
'99 Triumph TBS
'01 Honda Valkyrie

:auto-sportbike:

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

Worst scenario would be that the holder for the tach drive on the cam bearing is damaged. that happens, when the valve cover is being removed without taking the drive out first.

Return to “ENGINES: Maintenance, Performance, Parts Sources”