Effective additives question

ksquared
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Effective additives question

Post by ksquared »

I was at my local Walmart today and happened to walk by the section containing automotive additives. My natural inclination is to write the stuff off as crap at best and maybe worse. Then again maybe there is something in the pile that is useful. Many regard Stabil as useful. I've read several accounts of where the removal or reduction of zinc in motor oil is a bad thing especially for our older rides. STP claims to have zinc in it. I suspect that just keeping on top of maintenance (oil changes, etc.) are good enough. Then again, I want my CBX to last forever, or at least as long as I last :D Anyone ever see a "scientific" analysis of this stuff? It's easy to be skeptical and write them all off. Professionaly I'm an engineer so I tend to try to look deeper into some things. It's a curse :lol: Here is a picture of what I saw in the store. There was 3 feet more but my camera couldn't get it all.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
79 CBX - 75 CB400F - 71 SL350 - 07 Buell XB9R - 03 Harley V-Rod

Rick Pope
ICOA Rally Director
ICOA Rally Director

Re: Effective additives question

Post by Rick Pope »

I used an oil additive for a while, in a nearly new pickup. It was made by a reputable company, who claimed their "friction modifier" would increase mileage and power. The only difference I saw was wildly fluctuating oil pressure at idle. Without the additive, oil pressure was steady.

There are some fuel additives that seem to work. Sea Foam is one, as a stabilizer and mild carb cleaner. Techron Injector cleaner is also pretty good at keeping carb clean.
Rick Pope
Either garage is too small or we have too many bikes. Or Momma's car needs to go outside.

steve murdoch icoa #5322
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by steve murdoch icoa #5322 »

I try to only use ethanol-free gasoline but that is not always feasible so i use Sea-Foam in the gas 3 or 4 times a summer.

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

We are in danger of starting another "oil thread" :o :o
The issue with zinc is, that automotive spec motor oils have a significantly reduced ZDDP content, which is bad for all motors with flat tappets (non-roller lifters), which includes most (or maybe all) motorcycles.
You need to use a motorcycle specific oil or an oil with a ZDDP of 1200ppm or more. Mobil1 20W50 used to have that, but I cannot find this anymore.
Valvoline makes a 4-stroke motorcycle oil. Castrol has always been a choice.
I don't think there is the need for an oil additive if you use the right oil for a motorcycle.
Stay away from V-Twin or Harley oils as their motors are non-unit design, i.e.: the motor is separate from the transmission and the clutch.
It is more important to use a gasoline additive to stabilize the crappy fuel we have and provide some lead for the valve seats.

cross
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by cross »

Which fuel additive are you using?
Should this be used when bike is not ridden for few weeks or just when it's stored for longer time like over winter?

Thanks
Sasha

'82 Honda CBX
'99 Triumph TBS
'01 Honda Valkyrie

:auto-sportbike:

Larry Zimmer
ICOA Web Post/Pix/Video Archive Mgt
ICOA Web Post/Pix/Video Archive Mgt

Post by Larry Zimmer »

As a possible alternative, consider Rotella T-4. It is JASO compliant MA and MA2. (15W-40) NOT SO for their T-6. I believe that Mobil, also, have one that has the ZDDP in it. I forget which it is. Read the labels.
Larry Zimmer
cbxlarry@sbcglobal.net

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

cross wrote:Which fuel additive are you using?
Should this be used when bike is not ridden for few weeks or just when it's stored for longer time like over winter?

Thanks
I am using Startron Enzyme Fuel Treatment. I am using it regularly to counter the effects of the ethanol fuel.

And Larry: Yes, as I said, the Mobil1 high weight, either 20W40 or 20W50, forgot what they had, was exempt from the zinc reduction and used to have 1200 ppm ZDDP or more. Walmart used to sell it in %gal containers.

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

"Double click" post. Deleted!
Last edited by EMS on Tue Jun 04, 2019 8:09 am, edited 2 times in total.

cross
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by cross »

That's great, thank you
Sasha

'82 Honda CBX
'99 Triumph TBS
'01 Honda Valkyrie

hondaman160mph
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by hondaman160mph »

What about using Honda GN4 oil? After all it's
a Honda.

cross
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by cross »

It's not bad oil, only It has less than 1200ppm of ZDDP
Sasha

'82 Honda CBX
'99 Triumph TBS
'01 Honda Valkyrie

Ironangel John
New Member & Happy To Be Here
New Member & Happy To Be Here

Post by Ironangel John »

If you are interested in a friction reducer try Archoil 9100. Amazon has best price. I first tried it because it was recommended on the Powerstroke forum. My 6.0 diesel uses Hydraulic Electronic Unit Injectors. In other words 3000 psi of engine oil forces a plunger in the injector to force fuel in the cylinder. Cold weather starts can be brutal due to injector stiction. I started using archoil, that engine starts to minus 5 no issues without a block heater, and quickly settles to a smooth idle. I'm using it in all my vehicles, they just run better with it in it. No super mileage claims, just a smoother, more responsive engine.

Return to “ENGINES: Maintenance, Performance, Parts Sources”