ZDDP Engine Oil additive

cross
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

ZDDP Engine Oil additive

Post by cross »

Is anyone using ZDDP additive in the CBX engine oil?

Thanks
Sasha
Sasha

'82 Honda CBX
'99 Triumph TBS
'01 Honda Valkyrie

:auto-sportbike:

Tourville
New Member & Happy To Be Here
New Member & Happy To Be Here

Re: ZDDP Engine Oil additive

Post by Tourville »

GM makes a liquid Assembly Lube which
carries Moly among other Anti Wear Additives.

cross
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by cross »

I know but I've been using ZDDP additive with every oil change and was wondering if our bikes really need it and if anyone else is using it

Thanks
Sasha

'82 Honda CBX
'99 Triumph TBS
'01 Honda Valkyrie

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

Sasha:

People may hesitate to respond, because they do not want to get involved in another "oil thread", which can be almost as bad as a discussion about the pros and cons of DOT5 brake fluid :o
There are as many opinions about oil as there are oil companies. Here is mine anyway:

The need for ZDDP additive depends on the oil your are using. In general, the CBX motor requires a certain amount of zinc. All motors which have "flat tappet" cam contact - in the CBXes case shims - require this for wear prevention. Because of automotive spec motor oils having a low zinc content, most are not suitable for motorcycles (with some exceptions).
You need to look at the spec sheet of the oil your are using and look for the zinc content. You need around 1000 - 1200 ppm. Some higher weight automotive oils, like Mobil1 20W50 used to be exempt from the zinc content ruling and they continue to have 1200ppm or more. If you use an oil that has enough zinc in ppm, adding separate ZDDP is a waste of money.

hondaman160mph
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by hondaman160mph »

Does Honda oil contain zinc?

cross
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by cross »

EMS wrote:Sasha:

People may hesitate to respond, because they do not want to get involved in another "oil thread", which can be almost as bad as a discussion about the pros and cons of DOT5 brake fluid :o
There are as many opinions about oil as there are oil companies. Here is mine anyway:

The need for ZDDP additive depends on the oil your are using. In general, the CBX motor requires a certain amount of zinc. All motors which have "flat tappet" cam contact - in the CBXes case shims - require this for wear prevention. Because of automotive spec motor oils having a low zinc content, most are not suitable for motorcycles (with some exceptions).
You need to look at the spec sheet of the oil your are using and look for the zinc content. You need around 1000 - 1200 ppm. Some higher weight automotive oils, like Mobil1 20W50 used to be exempt from the zinc content ruling and they continue to have 1200ppm or more. If you use an oil that has enough zinc in ppm, adding separate ZDDP is a waste of money.

I'll check into that but i thought that ZDDP was not added to oils by the manufacturers in many years due to EPA regulations. Jaguar and other vintage car forums talk a lot about it and recommend using ZDDP additive on oil changes so I've been using it.

Thank you for the info
Sasha

'82 Honda CBX
'99 Triumph TBS
'01 Honda Valkyrie

SteveG
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by SteveG »

Really good info!! I have been wondering about the ZDDP also. I know STP Oil Treatment has it, but is a PITA to use. I just looked up my favorite motorcycle specific oil (uh-oh, I went there!) Valvoline 20W-50 and found it (along with the 10W-40) has 1120 ppm. Good to go, no need for STP!

Steve
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
82 CBX, 82 CB900F Project, 81 CB900(985)F, 79 CB750(810)F, 06 Wee-Strom

cross
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by cross »

I've been using Valvoline until now when i got Hondas GN4.
I think i got all my questions answered?

Thank you all!
Sasha
Sasha

'82 Honda CBX
'99 Triumph TBS
'01 Honda Valkyrie

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

Honda's GN4 is on the lower end of the ZDDP range with about 1050 ppm. Should be O.K., though. Just change the oil more often.

Automotive oil is in the area of 500-800ppm because of potential catalytic converter damage. That's why your Jaguar and other car forums talk about the need for additives.

cross
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by cross »

Great info!

Thank you sir

Sasha
Sasha

'82 Honda CBX
'99 Triumph TBS
'01 Honda Valkyrie

hondaman160mph
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by hondaman160mph »

What's the consensus for mileage and changing engine oil?

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

Again, there is no rule that will apply across the board.
It depends on how you use your bike.
In general, I would have said change it every 3,000 to 4,000 miles. HOWEVER: If it takes you 5 years to put 3,000 miles on your CBX (which happens for quite a few) you must change more often.
And if you take your CBX to track days, change the oil BEFORE AND AFTER.
Also, it depends if you have a longer "lay-up" period. I can ride only 6-7 months and have to store my bikes for around 5 months. I change oil on most of them before I store them, in order to get the water out of the system before storage. That means, some bikes get an oil change every 1,000 miles or so.
Owning a classic vehicle that is not being moved on a daily basis, is expensive business.

cross
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by cross »

Absolutely! I haven't ridden much this year but last several years about few thousand miles each year. I was changing oil at about 1500 miles and sooner if I did more spirited riding.
Another month and our riding season will be over so I'll use up Honda oil on this oil change to use it up but will go back to Valvoline after that.
Now that I have water cooled triumph and Valkyrie, they gets more used on super hot summer days. CBX only when not so hot.
I appreciate all the info you provided

Sasha
Sasha

'82 Honda CBX
'99 Triumph TBS
'01 Honda Valkyrie

Return to “ENGINES: Maintenance, Performance, Parts Sources”