6 speed transmission

cbxchris
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

6 speed transmission

Post by cbxchris »

http://www.remotion.jp/parts/cbx/ Has anyone out there used, seen or heard of this company manufacturing 6 speed tranmissions ? Sounds good, the cbx has always needed a 6th gear to drop the revs and make cruising more practical !

Larry Zimmer
ICOA Web Post/Pix/Video Archive Mgt

Re: 6 speed transmission

Post by Larry Zimmer »

First, to your question: I have no experience with them. Neat, though. At approx. $4500 on the tranny parts, I might just pass. They do have quite a parts list. Interesting item was complete set of bushings and bearings for prolink rear. Don't believe those are available from Honda. Slick alternator conversion unit at $1000 -- brushless.
Larry Zimmer
cbxlarry@sbcglobal.net

cbxchris
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by cbxchris »

Here is the link to the 6 speed transmission http://www.remotion.jp/parts/cbx/cbx6gear/

wyly
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by wyly »

that would be awesome, I've lost count long ago the number of times I tried to shift to sixth :? :oops:
but at $5K in Canadian funds that waaay to rich for me :(

edit: but then using my translation app I see a second price of 100,000 yen including tax? is this a parts only price and the other "parts and labour"? Which makes more sense as I don't see a lot of parts that would justify 435,000 Yen,
100,000 Yen would be $887 USD or 1,500 CDN ...still pricey but that might have been worthwhile if I had known that option when I had my engine torn down. If that's the situation then it would make sense to buy the parts to be modified from Louis and save the original tranny parts.
CBX a work in progress, still improving...GS1150EFE completed and awaiting modifications.....RD350, remnants in boxes scattered throughout the garage

Larry Zimmer

Post by Larry Zimmer »

Best I can 'interpret', the 100,000 is for them to install. 'Parts and labor' is things such as gaskets, seals, etc.
Larry Zimmer
cbxlarry@sbcglobal.net

Mouse
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Mouse »

wyly wrote:that would be awesome, I've lost count long ago the number of times I tried to shift to sixth :?
HA! you think you got it bad. Anything over 3500 rpm has me going for another gear, that's what happens when your daily driver is a Cummins Dodge :lol:
Canadian Amateur Radio Call sign VE6 VES

Syscrush
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Syscrush »

I came here to post that same link. The order deadline is after I find out my year-end bonus - it's a long shot but I'm not ruling it out.
Phil in Toronto
A cool guy deserves a cool bike, a dork needs a cool bike...
Pics of Perry, my '79.

wyly
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by wyly »

Syscrush wrote:I came here to post that same link. The order deadline is after I find out my year-end bonus - it's a long shot but I'm not ruling it out.
I asked Bert at SixCenter he said he was offered the the transmission for resale but said the price is much too high. He also asked why anyone would need it If they’re not planning to race.

I suppose sprocket change would be a much less expensive if not a perfect solution.

I don’t see where all the cash goes in the conversion, I know nothing about the fabrication required but it doesn’t look that complex....I’ll bring this up with my mechanic, his son runs a machine shop.
CBX a work in progress, still improving...GS1150EFE completed and awaiting modifications.....RD350, remnants in boxes scattered throughout the garage

Syscrush
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Syscrush »

wyly wrote:I asked Bert at SixCenter he said he was offered the the transmission for resale but said the price is much too high. He also asked why anyone would need it If they’re not planning to race.

I suppose sprocket change would be a much less expensive if not a perfect solution.
My motivation is this: I like winding out the bike in 1st, 2nd, 3rd when riding on public roads. But I don't feel great spending hours at 5500 RPM at ~120kph. Maybe I'm just being dumb, but I do feel like getting that down to 4000-4500 would increase the longevity of the engine (which is my main concern).

I don't want to make the final gearing taller because that would mean losing some of the grunt and urgency of 1st and 2nd, and rule out hitting redline in 3rd (in Ontario 150kph is a world of legal hurt). Before I saw this 6 speed option, I started putting out feelers to custom gear shops about doing a 1:1 4th gear and an overdrive 5th. That would suit my needs and riding style very well - I don't care about a big gap between 3rd and 4th, because I'm not horsing around in 4th now anyhow. Getting a 6th speed would be about the bling/novelty as much as anything else - which I think should be eminently understandable to anyone who rides a CBX. :lol:
I don’t see where all the cash goes in the conversion, I know nothing about the fabrication required but it doesn’t look that complex....I’ll bring this up with my mechanic, his son runs a machine shop.
The short story is that custom gears are proper expensive. They have complex shapes, are machined from very tough steel, and need to be treated a specific way to end up very hard without being brittle. On top of the gears themselves, I expect that this would require a modified or new dog, changes to the shift drum, the indexing pawl, and who knows what else. Apparently it's an all-new gear set, not a retrofit of a set from a more modern bike (I've been wondering if the modern CB1100 might share enough dimensions to work, but that's obviously a long shot).

If you get a lead on a more cost effective alternative, I'd be happy to hear about it, though.
Phil in Toronto
Pics of Perry, my '79.

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

If the CBX had a cassette transmission, I would think it be worth a try. Considering that most people have little use for a 6th gear as they do not use their CBX for long hauls on the freeway at a constant speed of 70mph+, I cannot see it being a viable path. It may worth the "bragging rights" for some, though, like turbo-charging their CBX, for example. 8)

wyly
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by wyly »

Syscrush wrote:
wyly wrote: I don't want to make the final gearing taller because that would mean losing some of the grunt and urgency of 1st and 2nd, and rule out hitting redline in 3rd (in Ontario 150kph is a world of legal hurt). Before I saw this 6 speed option, I started putting out feelers to custom gear shops about doing a 1:1 4th gear and an overdrive 5th. That would suit my needs and riding style very well - I don't care about a big gap between 3rd and 4th, because I'm not horsing around in 4th now anyhow. Getting a 6th speed would be about the bling/novelty as much as anything else - which I think should be eminently understandable to anyone who rides a CBX. :lol:

The short story is that custom gears are proper expensive. They have complex shapes, are machined from very tough steel, and need to be treated a specific way to end up very hard without being brittle. On top of the gears themselves, I expect that this would require a modified or new dog, changes to the shift drum, the indexing pawl, and who knows what else. Apparently it's an all-new gear set, not a retrofit of a set from a more modern bike (I've been wondering if the modern CB1100 might share enough dimensions to work, but that's obviously a long shot).

If you get a lead on a more cost effective alternative, I'd be happy to hear about it, though.
spoke with my mechanic this morning he said tranny gears are expensive to manufacture but yeah there is room in there for a conversion and a 6th gear would be great and unlike a sprocket change you're not giving up anything.

I'm sending him the link to him to look at he says he knows the local machine shops that could handle the manufacturing.

Syscrush
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Syscrush »

EMS wrote:Considering that most people have little use for a 6th gear as they do not use their CBX for long hauls on the freeway at a constant speed of 70mph+, I cannot see it being a viable path.
This is absolutely one of my top 3 use cases for this bike, and I wanna keep doing that for 15-20 years - hence my interest in either changing 4 & 5, or adding 6.
It may worth the "bragging rights" for some, though, like turbo-charging their CBX, for example. 8)
If I didn't want bragging rights, I'd be riding around on a ratty CBR600F4i with convertibars instead of a shiny, outdated extra-cylinder technological wonder modded into the current century. :lol:
Phil in Toronto
Pics of Perry, my '79.

Tourville
New Member & Happy To Be Here

Post by Tourville »

435000 JPY

=

3856.07531 USD

:teasing-poke:

Tourville

Post by Tourville »

Engine / 6 speed cross mission

CBX
Product number: 01310-H4226-00 price: ¥ 435,000, - (excluding tax)
6th speed cross mission 6 Speed ​​Gear Transmission

CBX 6 Gear +

※ The third lot is being accepted. The deadline is November 30.

※ We will accept reservations for the next 3rd lot, but the delivery date is undecided.

* 6 speed mission special built-in fee \ 100,000, - / including tax (parts fee, fee, oil substitution / 300 V use, + 10 thousand yen)

※ CBX 6-speed cross mission realized full-fledged cross ratio, reduced rotational drop during shift up, improved acceleration performance.
Relax excessive engine brake during downshifting.

【Gear ratio / Gear Ratio】
【6 Speed】 1st speed / 2.375 second speed / 1.789 third speed / 1.455 4 speed / 1.250 5 speed / 1.103 6 speed / 1.000
[Normal] 1 speed / 2.438 second speed / 1.750 3 speed / 1.391 4 speed / 1.200 5 speed / 1.037

Syscrush
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Syscrush »

Thanks for posting that. Now I don't really want one. The ratios are closer, but the range is almost exactly the same (235% for the stock 5-speed vs 238% for the 6-speed). This would potentially have value on a race track where the closer ratios help keep the revs in a narrower range about peak power, but not for a street rider who wants hard pull in the lower gears and relaxed cruising on the highway.
Phil in Toronto
Pics of Perry, my '79.

Return to “ENGINES: Maintenance, Performance, Parts Sources”