Other teeth on primary drive gear

sixinoz
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Other teeth on primary drive gear

Post by sixinoz »

What is the purpose of the other offset teeth on the back of the primary gear that drives the clutch? Couldn't see if they drive anything?

Also ran into a slight problem installing the clutch basket back onto the shaft. Just would not go on until I noticed that the splines on the pressure plate were offset slightly and stopped the unit going on. Only way I could get it on was to put the basket on the shaft, loosen the lifter plate until I could get the splines to mesh and then retighten the lifter plate. Following the manual, I installed the plates in the basket off the shaft but it seems there is some chance of it not being perfectly aligned.

Anyone else noticed this or have I missed something in the assembly?

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Re: Other teeth on primary drive gear

Post by daves79x »

It's all spelled out in the manual, you must have the primary gear's two rows of teeth aligned at the mesh point with the clutch gear. The purpose of the split gear is presumably to reduce straight-cut gear whine.

Dave

sixinoz
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by sixinoz »

Hi Dave - do you mean that the primary sprocket offset teeth move so that they engage the clutch gear as well?

sixinoz
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by sixinoz »

20180829_073338.jpg
20180829_073053.jpg
Sorry to have to ask so many questions on this but I want to make sure I understand how it works and do it correctly. I have attached 2 photos 1 which show gears "out of sync" at the top of the gear meaning that at the bottom of the gear they are correctly meshed? 2nd photo shows, as best I can the meshing at the bottom. Since the clutch gear has gone all the way into the primary gear I am presuming this is now correctly meshed. The second gear on the primary gear is presumably spring loaded to adjust as the primary gear turns??
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Post by daves79x »

Oh, the clutch gear absolutely has to engage both sets of teeth. You'll break something expensive if they don't.

Dave

Return to “ENGINES: Maintenance, Performance, Parts Sources”