Oil pump chain rubbing on casing.

sixinoz
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Oil pump chain rubbing on casing.

Post by sixinoz »

Just finished putting in new rubbers in my clutch basket and was looking around for anything amiss when I noticed that the top of the oil pump drive chain on the primary shaft is rubbing on the casing. It has marked the casing but does not look too serious but I don't want metal fragments floating about. The washer behind the sprocket is there. Anyone had this problem and what is the fix - slightly thicker washer?

sixinoz
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Re: Oil pump chain rubbing on casing.

Post by sixinoz »

I see that the oil pump sprocket has a "lip" on one side. Mine faces outwards but looking at my manual it looks like the lip faces inwards and goes up against the thrust washer. This would explain the problem - can anyone confirm this?

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Post by daves79x »

Yes, it goes the way the manual shows. How long did you run it this way? The chain and sprockets for the oil pump would have been very much mis-aligned. Hope no other damage is found.

Dave

sixinoz
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by sixinoz »

Thanks Dave - PO must have not realised the sprocket had a lip. Changed it around and now there is plenty of clearance. Chain looks undamaged and no other visible damage so I am happy it will work as it should.

Return to “ENGINES: Maintenance, Performance, Parts Sources”