Camshaft sprockets and attachment to camshafts

sixinoz
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Camshaft sprockets and attachment to camshafts

Post by sixinoz »

Having never had the top end off a CBX and it is not clearly shown in diagrams how do the sprockets attach to the camshafts? The main camshaft sprocket to the crank appears to be bolted to the right exhaust cam - how is the sprocket to drive the inlet cams attached. Is it bolted to the left exhaust cam with the Oldham coupler in between or are both bolted to the right exhaust cam?
The inlet cam sprocket appears to be bolted to the right inlet cam - correct ?
I know once I get into the head it will all become apparent but until that time comes I would be grateful for the information.

At present I am lining up parts so another question. If I buy a standard bore head gasket and take off my head only to find the cylinders have been rebored do I have a problem?

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Re: Camshaft sprockets and attachment to camshafts

Post by daves79x »

Both sprockets are bolted to the right cams. Only the exhaust sprocket has to come off. If you have just a factory oversize, stock head gasket is fine. Big-bore requires a different gasket to match.

Dave

Larry Zimmer
ICOA Web Post/Pix/Video Archive Mgt
ICOA Web Post/Pix/Video Archive Mgt

Post by Larry Zimmer »

A note from recent experience: If the two bolts holding the sprocket to the exhaust cam do not loosen easily, apply heat for a bit with a propane torch. Then, using a quality socket on an impact wrench, give it a pop. Use a long extension rod to get the socket squarely onto the bot heads.
DO NOT use impact to reassemble. A touch of blue loctite might be used when reassembling.
Larry Zimmer
cbxlarry@sbcglobal.net

solarmoose
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by solarmoose »

I'd definitely suggest loctite on reassemble. PO didn't on one of my bikes; bolts loosened, backed out, broke cam bolt casting and then cam chain and many valves. Have now added new item to inspection list after buying a CBX.

Return to “ENGINES: Maintenance, Performance, Parts Sources”