Worn gear lever cover

cbxchris
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Worn gear lever cover

Post by cbxchris »

There is excessive play in my gear lever shaft, ( ie up and down movement), has anyone on here had a bush inserted in the cover to restore it back to original tolerance, new covers are no longer available and buying a second hand could still be as worn, any help would be appreciated cbxchris

jnnngs
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Re: Worn gear lever cover

Post by jnnngs »

Chris,

Never used one, but Bert at SixCenter sells a kit with the bushes:

http://www.sixcenter.nl/onderdelen/deta ... 91&start=5

Paul.

cbxchris
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by cbxchris »

jnnngs wrote:Chris,

Never used one, but Bert at SixCenter sells a kit with the bushes:

http://www.sixcenter.nl/onderdelen/deta ... 91&start=5

Paul.
Paul , i dont mean the linkage, i am on about up and down play on the splined shaft where it sits in the housing, i wondered if anybody has ever machined out the housing and inserted a bush, to restore it back to normal size ! ps as it happens your link to the new bush kit is useful as they are worn as well, thanks very much Chris

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Post by daves79x »

Chris: Never heard of doing that, but don't know why it couldn't be done. I've seen a lot of high mileage bikes and never noticed that problem. A used replacement cover would likely be much better. Curious as to what abuse the bike endured to cause the problem.

Dave

jnnngs
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by jnnngs »

Chris,

Still not sure where you mean?

The splined shaft comes thro' the gearbox cover - but goes thro' an oil seal. If you had significant movement there you would also be leaking oil?

If you do need a replacement gearbox cover I have one.

Paul.

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Post by daves79x »

Chris: After thinking about your question - are you positive the fit between the shift linkage cover and the shifter shaft is actually worn much? That fit is not exactly a tight one when new. The oil seal just holds the oil in and really offers no support.

Dave

cbxchris
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by cbxchris »

daves79x wrote:Chris: After thinking about your question - are you positive the fit between the shift linkage cover and the shifter shaft is actually worn much? That fit is not exactly a tight one when new. The oil seal just holds the oil in and really offers no support.

Dave
Yes Dave, there definitely is a fair amount of play there !

cbxchris
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by cbxchris »

jnnngs wrote:Chris,

Still not sure where you mean?

The splined shaft comes thro' the gearbox cover - but goes thro' an oil seal. If you had significant movement there you would also be leaking oil?

If you do need a replacement gearbox cover I have one.

Paul.
Cheers Paul , where abouts in Hampshire do you live ?

jnnngs
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by jnnngs »

cbxchris wrote: Cheers Paul , where abouts in Hampshire do you live ?
Basingstoke area.

steve murdoch icoa #5322
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by steve murdoch icoa #5322 »

I am also not quite sure what area you are asking about, Chris.
Is it the splines on the shift shaft itself that are concerning you?

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Post by daves79x »

The shift shaft is a short, stubby affair. It fixes into a recess and lines up a certain way under the little cover on the left side that contains all the mechanisms, springs, etc for operating the shift drum. The cover slips over the shaft to expose what we all see as the shift lever. Besides the seal the cover has obviously a hole machined for the shift shaft to pass through. The factory fit is snug, but obviously not tight. The seal presses in from the outside to contain the oil found in the shifter cavity. There is also a thrust washer on the shaft just inside the cover, which is sometimes missing.

What Chris is saying is that this snug fit of the shift shaft to the cover bore is a lot looser than he thinks it should be, which would mean that the cover bore is worn. Not likely the steel shaft is worn. As I said, I've never seen one worn noticeably. The shaft and bore should be oiled by engine oil contained inside the shifter cover and in normal service see no wear.

Dave

cbxchris
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by cbxchris »

daves79x wrote:The shift shaft is a short, stubby affair. It fixes into a recess and lines up a certain way under the little cover on the left side that contains all the mechanisms, springs, etc for operating the shift drum. The cover slips over the shaft to expose what we all see as the shift lever. Besides the seal the cover has obviously a hole machined for the shift shaft to pass through. The factory fit is snug, but obviously not tight. The seal presses in from the outside to contain the oil found in the shifter cavity. There is also a thrust washer on the shaft just inside the cover, which is sometimes missing.

What Chris is saying is that this snug fit of the shift shaft to the cover bore is a lot looser than he thinks it should be, which would mean that the cover bore is worn. Not likely the steel shaft is worn. As I said, I've never seen one worn noticeably. The shaft and bore should be oiled by engine oil contained inside the shifter cover and in normal service see no wear.

Dave
Thats right Dave, the above is what i exactly mean !

cbxchris
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by cbxchris »

Here are some pics of the phosphor bronze bush in cover
!
20180213_120928.jpg
20180213_120957.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “ENGINES: Maintenance, Performance, Parts Sources”