Engine. transmission whine.

Silver
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Engine. transmission whine.

Post by Silver »

I have noticed a noise when coming to a stop or slowing down in the lower gears. sounds like a gear or chain whine. Its not loud and I wondered if it is normal. I replaced the primary chain and timing chains three thousand miles ago so I doubt if it is the primary rubbing on the oil feed spout I would appreciate any comments.

steve murdoch icoa #5322
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Re: Engine. transmission whine.

Post by steve murdoch icoa #5322 »

Could it just be the cam chain tensioners need adjusting?

Silver
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Silver »

Have already checked the tensioners and chain adjustment. Thought it might be the lower run of the rear chain hitting something when I close the throttle and slow down but its not that either.

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Post by daves79x »

The alternator side primary shaft bearing has been know to fail. I've replaced 2 or 3 that have. The noise from them is pretty loud and you hear it at any engine speed. Those bikes had had a catastrophic alternator failure that locked the rotor and destroyed the clutch plates. The area around the plates, including the end of the primary shaft, had gotten so hot that the oil had crystallized inside the primary shaft and blocked oil flow. I think that's why that bearing failed. On those, the cases had to be split just to clean out the inside of the primary shaft. What a mess.

Dave

Silver
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Silver »

Owing to the fact that I don't hear this noise at idle or when I increase the RPM it seems like that is not the problem, however I will remove the alternator and covers to check the primary shaft etc. Maybe I am being over concerned as it is just a slight noise on deceleration. I wont split the cases until I find another CBX to compare when spring arrives. Thanks.

Return to “ENGINES: Maintenance, Performance, Parts Sources”