Crankshaft repair - hard chrome plating

LONGCLOSE
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Crankshaft repair - hard chrome plating

Post by LONGCLOSE »

Afternoon all from Africa,

As CBX crankshafts in good condition are becoming scare, I am looking at repairing/refurbishing cranks that have failed in service. I have access to a number of cranks where a single journal has run its bearing. I have previous experience from my engineering businesses of hard chrome plating bearing surfaces and the required process to achieve this.

I know of others who have tried it, however it failed where the journal lost the plating after a couple of hundred miles destroying the engine, this without doubt will be down to not following due process or the crank material is not suitable for this process to be undertaken albeit unlikely.

Any members out there had success with chrome plating journals, if so let us all know so hopefully we can work to getting bad cranks back into service..

All the best from a cyclone swept east cost of South Afirca
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

steve murdoch icoa #5322
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Re: Crankshaft repair - hard chrome plating

Post by steve murdoch icoa #5322 »

That is a scary looking picture.
Your place/stuff in one piece?

LONGCLOSE
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by LONGCLOSE »

Hi Steve,

Yep my place is all intact thank God, it came and went in three hours... bikes wrapped up and warm in the TV room for the valuable stuff the rest had to put up with the workshop!! I just feel for the poor folk in the shanty towns who would have been hit really hard, life is hard enough here for the poor so this in single digit (centigrade) temps is terrible. Apparently it was not a cyclone... but could of fooled me at the time.. see pictures in the link below.. anyway back to crankshafts...

http://www.news24.com/SouthAfrica/News/ ... s-20171010

LONGCLOSE
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by LONGCLOSE »

I guess no one has done this before on CBX's? Looks like I may be the first...

Larry Zimmer
ICOA Web Post/Pix/Video Archive Mgt

Post by Larry Zimmer »

I don't know of it, either, on m/c cranks. However, as you mentioned, it has been done on other types of cranks, including large machines. Unfortunately, I don't know any source for such work on crankshafts. Might be a rather expensive proposition. Have you inquired with Louis at usedcbxparts about a crank? What's the tariff hit for 'prototype' parts shipped to SA? Those are parts to be tested and returned after testing/evaluation. Don't know of any time restriction for the test/evaluation period, though! Might be worth a look. Shipping to Longclose Engine Pumps, Inc! Even with a import tax, though, it might be less expensive than the hard chrome thing. Unless, by chance, you have some good friends in the business. Also, Louis can always state a favorable value on the part as 'used automotive' if not prototype.

Whichever direction, good luck; and, keep us posted.
Larry Zimmer
cbxlarry@sbcglobal.net

Jeff Bennetts
Posting God
Posting God

Post by Jeff Bennetts »

Falicon does crankshaft repair and or modifications, they repaired a CBX crank for me that had journal damage from a hydro-lock, I also had them preform their Supercrank service while they had it for the journal repair.

Here's the link,
http://www.faliconcranks.com/index.html

Larry Zimmer

Post by Larry Zimmer »

Cool. Thanks, Jeff. Hope it helps him.
Larry Zimmer
cbxlarry@sbcglobal.net

Return to “ENGINES: Maintenance, Performance, Parts Sources”