Valve Cover

tazz
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Valve Cover

Post by tazz »

Hi All need some HELP here for has long as I own my CBX I do almost all the work accept I have NOT remove the valve cover always take the bike in to do a tune-up I'm going to remove valve cover my self for the First time cause I want to CLEAN the valve cover maybe paint it silver. My question is installing it back do i use Honda bon HT to hold the cover gasket or is their something else better. When you use bon do you guys do the whole gasket or just the corners. Which way is easy put the BON on the gasket or on the engine to re-install which way is the EASY way to go. :roll: Sorry but this in the WRONG PLACE.

tazz
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Re: Valve Cover

Post by tazz »

tazz wrote:Hi All need some HELP here for has long as I own my CBX I do almost all the work accept I have NOT remove the valve cover always take the bike in to do a tune-up I'm going to remove valve cover my self for the First time cause I want to CLEAN the valve cover maybe paint it silver. My question is installing it back do i use Honda bond HT to hold the cover gasket or is their something else better. When you use bond do you guys do the whole gasket or just the corners. Which way is easy put the BOND on the gasket or on the engine to re-install which way is the EASY way to go. :roll: Sorry but this in the WRONG PLACE.

steve murdoch icoa #5322
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by steve murdoch icoa #5322 »

The Honda Bond will work fine. I use Permatex Grey gasket maker.
A small amount in the corners and around the "doughnuts is all that is required.
I have used a VERY thin bead in the entire channel to keep the gasket in place with excellent results.
Herdygerdy has a nice write up using rubber bands to keep the gasket in place.
viewtopic.php?f=25&t=10202

FalldownPhil
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by FalldownPhil »

tazz,
It is VERY IMPORTANT that you remove the tachometer drive gear from the cam cover before you try to lift up on the cam cover.
Failure to do so will result in a broken cam cap. First remove the tach cable. Next, remove the two little 8mm (socket size) bolts
that hold the gear holder in place and remove the cover and tach drive gear. Now you can safely remove the cam cover.
Best,
Phil
When you are up to your ass in alligators it is sometimes difficult
to remember that your objective was to drain the swamp !!

tazz
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by tazz »

Thank Phil is there a way to move this to ENGINES:Maintenance I type it at the WRONG PLACE :(

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Post by daves79x »

Hondabond (the one you seal the cases with) works well for gluing the rubber to the cover, just go easy on it. Then all you need is a little smear on each of the 4 radii, and outward a few mm from them. That's it. I have to tell you that this will stick the cover very tightly and it will require careful force to remove later. 3M Super Weatherstrip Adhesive works as well and does not stick so tightly, and is easier to remove. It comes in black.

Also get new rubber grommets for the hold-down bolts. No sealant on them. New o-ring for the tach drive holder too. Be very thorough with the clean-up before you use the sealant.

Dave

tazz
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by tazz »

Thank Dave and yes I was getting new cover gasket ,setting rubber,thrust washer,oil seal,O-ring question do we have to use way BOND can we put all the rubber back without using bond. P.S.Can we move is to ENGINES:Maintenance.

tazz
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by tazz »

[quote="tazz"]Thank Dave and yes I was getting new cover gasket ,setting rubber,thrust washer,oil seal,O-ring question do we have to use way BOND can we put all the rubber back without using bond. P.S. Is there a way we can move is to ENGINES:Maintenance. or do I have to retype this in ENGINES:Maintenance

tazz
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by tazz »

Sorry ALL I see at ENGINE Maintenance

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Post by daves79x »

I think I got your question. Don't worry so much about what section this is in - I'd worry more about a little sentence structure and punctuation. Kind of hard to follow your thoughts.

Anyway, yes, use bond or glue on the cover to secure the gasket to it. Can't install the cover without doing that. Use it where I described and it's also described and pictured in the shop manual. No bond anywhere else on anything.

You don't have to tilt the engine to remove the cover, but it is very tight without some relief. Remove the rear triangles also and loosen the top rear engine through bolt. This will allow the engine to sag enough to get the cover in and out.

Dave

tazz
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by tazz »

Well got the valve cover off WHAT a pain in the A$$ is to remove the valve cover. I just send the cover to RestoCycle when it get back here I go again to but it back :sad-roulette: if any off you the can help me on the easy way to put it back please let me know and if you have picture or video, the Honda shop manual does NOT help.

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Post by daves79x »

First, hope you plan to paint it after it is blasted. It will look nice for a bit if you don't paint it, but not for long. Not sure what exactly you had trouble with, if you did what I suggested above.

Dave

tazz
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by tazz »

I like to say Thank you ALL the help me with the valve cover I got it back SUPER fast from RestoCycle and boy it LOOK beautiful and great LOVE IT thank Nil bike LOOKS so clean :laughing-rollingyellow: thank again all and RestoCycle.

Return to “ENGINES: Maintenance, Performance, Parts Sources”