Top end rattle? Oldham couplers?

Thunderdome74
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Top end rattle? Oldham couplers?

Post by Thunderdome74 »

Hi eeryone

So my bike is together and running like an absolute dream, cept otr the noise.

At first i thought it was the alternator, but i have replaced the bearings, put shims etc
When the noise occurs i have felt the alternator and no vibration from it at all, as well as the voltage being stable accross the range.

The noise occurs only under load.Normally starts about 2000-3000 and stays with the revs (up and down) until it goes back to idle. Then on pulloff it again occurs, until i clutch in, rev,settle idle and it will be gone again until i rev under load.
It is not always there, but is more noitcable when hot

Sound like a spinning "bearing: sound

I had the head done (valves seated, new valve stem seals ,gaskets) and my next suspision is it could be oldham couplers?

The oldham couplers is new to me and what i have read here is there are oversize one availible?
Could this be the next line of investigation? Especvially if the shop replaced the oldahms in the incorrect position?

Thanks so much for all the help
Thor

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Re: Top end rattle? Oldham couplers?

Post by daves79x »

Sounds like a rod knock to me. Oldham coupler wear is a busy 'sewing machine' sound all the time from the top end. But if you are positive it's from the top end and not a rod, you should check for sure that your cam chain tensioners are functioning properly. A loose cam chain makes all kinds of noise.

Dave

Thunderdome74
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Re: Top end rattle? Oldham couplers?

Post by Thunderdome74 »

Heya Dave...

Good to know about the oldham couplers, tx.

So went for a ride today and met up with a mate who's CBX has been my Yardstick. Took his for a ride...
Exactly the same noises!
And he has done about 5000km with no issues.(both bikes need a proper synch)
So i have now had him and a bike mechanic tell me it's good and i need to just put on the big boy pants and ride the thing!!!

38 years old its gonna have noises, which i will get to , but for now it is good to go and shouldn't blow up!

Thanks again
Thor

Return to “ENGINES: Maintenance, Performance, Parts Sources”