engine numbers

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

daves79x wrote:Like I said - the frame #s started over in Marysville - and, yes, they had a '1' starting the string. The production in Marysville didn't start at 10,001 bikes, it was just the way Honda differentiated the frames. Dave
Fine. You may call it "the numbers started over", I call it two different sets of numbers, one beginning with 00001 the other beginning with 10001. I would think most vehicle manufacturers, the DOT and almost everybody obsessed with vehicle ID numbers would agree with me.
You don't say that the VIN-numbers for the 1979 CBX "startet all over" when frame no CB1-2010001 rolled out the factory, do you?

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Post by daves79x »

We may be misunderstanding each other. No, I don't say that the '79s started over at 10001 because 10,000 ACTUAL BIKES preceeded it. 10,000 '80s were NOT made in Japan to preceed serial # 10001 in Marysville. I'm saying that the highest frame # from Japan was in the 2000-2200 range, then the frames 'started over' with a '1' preceeding the serial #. I'm just noting that this is how you tell a Marysville bike from a Japan one. It also says so on the serial # plate. If anyone has facts to refute this, I'd be glad to hear them (such as '80 frame /engine #s from overseas). Sorry for the confusion on my part.

Dave

cbxjam
New Member & Happy To Be Here

Post by cbxjam »

and so,

if i had a cbxz with a difference of 400 between frame and engine numbers,what are the chances of them being the original engine and frame that it left the factory with or is there no chance of really knowing??

thanks. :?:

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Post by daves79x »

CBXJAM:
Sorry for the diversion that really didn't answer your question. Yes, for the '79 or 'Z' model, 200-400 difference in serial #s is normal, especially for the earlier ones. My '79 that I bought new in '79 (and still have) is frame # 1917 and engine # 2237. Two other '79s I've had were in the same frame range (2000-2400) and the engine #s were 300-400 higher. I think you can assume that if you find one such as that - it is probably original. As we said, you can never know for sure, but it would certainly pass as such.

Dave

alimey4u2
ICOA Web Video Director
ICOA Web Video Director

Post by alimey4u2 »

Excellent thread, I learned a lot..... :thumupp:

cbxjam

Post by cbxjam »

alimey4u2 wrote:Excellent thread, I learned a lot..... :thumupp:
yes thankyou,I learned alot too!!!

many thanks for the replies.

cbxjam

Post by cbxjam »

alimey4u2 wrote:Keep us posted Allan......... :thumupp:

well I've been and done it now,I've bought a "z" in very good original condition (silver) ,and 9700 miles from new! yeehah!!!!!!!!! :lol:

Chris
Amazing Poster
Amazing Poster

Post by Chris »

cbxjam wrote:
alimey4u2 wrote:Keep us posted Allan......... :thumupp:

well I've been and done it now,I've bought a "z" in very good original condition (silver) ,and 9700 miles from new! yeehah!!!!!!!!! :lol:
Congratulations !!!

Post pix if you can.

Mike Nixon
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

frame vs. engine numbers

Post by Mike Nixon »

Well, looks like I am coming into this very late, so hit your back button now and go find something interesting to look at. :) I have been employed in the powersports industry for over 30 years and can say with confidence that matching frame and serial numbers is a characteristic that is never found on Asian bikes made during the past two to three decades. That is, it may be expected with certain marques, but not with any of the big four Japanese makes. No one working in the industry would even think of the possibility, unless he or she came into the Asian part from working in another part. It has never occurred to me to even see how far off they are, but I am finding it interesting that someone is analyzing that. :) Also, I don't think any of the explanations out there for why the Asians do this, including the ones on this forum, really fit the situation. It doesn't matter where the vehicles are made, they never match. I do know that Honda, like other companies, makes engines in one plant and then puts them into frames in another, so that may factor in somewhere. Also, they definitely pull engines off the engine line at various times, interrupting the sequence, for export, crate engines, etc. And, Honda at least, sometimes breaks the serial range and inserts gaps, for no known reason. So conjecturing how far the numbers are apart and why is kind of futile at best, though, as I say, it's interesting to watch. No offense is intended. :)

Terry
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Terry »

Hi Mike, as has been stated,

"it woud probably be a great coincidence if someone discovered they actually had 'naturally' matching numbers." :shock: :D
It ain't the destination, its the journey...

cbxtacy
Posting God
Posting God

Post by cbxtacy »

If anyone has an engine where the last 6 numbers end in 122849, can I have it? That's my birthday (December 28, 1949) and it would be a nice gesture to give it to me now, wouldn't it?
one out of four people in this country is mentally unbalanced
think of your three closest friends, if they're okay then
YOU'RE THE ONE

steve murdoch icoa #5322
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by steve murdoch icoa #5322 »

Oh man, what a week! Christmas, George's birthday and New Years.
Congrats cbxjam on getting the bike.

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

cbxtacy wrote:If anyone has an engine where the last 6 numbers end in 122849, can I have it? That's my birthday (December 28, 1949) and it would be a nice gesture to give it to me now, wouldn't it?
I don't think they made that many engines! You are just too old George :shock: :lol: :lol:

alimey4u2
ICOA Web Video Director
ICOA Web Video Director

Post by alimey4u2 »

EMS wrote:
cbxtacy wrote:If anyone has an engine where the last 6 numbers end in 122849, can I have it? That's my birthday (December 28, 1949) and it would be a nice gesture to give it to me now, wouldn't it?
I don't think they made that many engines! You are just too old George :shock: :lol: :lol:
Welcome back Mike, We missed you....... :thumupp:

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

alimey4u2 wrote:
Welcome back Mike, We missed you....... :thumupp:
Thanks, Larry! Good to be back, - although I enjoyed it over there. Even rode a bike :shock:

Return to “ENGINES: Maintenance, Performance, Parts Sources”