'82 Prolink greasing help

dougcbx
New Member & Happy To Be Here

'82 Prolink greasing help

Post by dougcbx »

I'm going to grease my prolink suspension for the first time. The bike has 25,000 miles on it and I don't think the Prolink has ever been greased.
I do have the Honda Molybdenum grease. Does the exhaust have to be removed?
Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

Larry Zimmer
ICOA Web Post/Pix/Video Archive Mgt

Re: '82 Prolink greasing help

Post by Larry Zimmer »

Hi, Doug,

You will have to 'drop' the exhaust. However, it does not have to be completely removed. Just did mine last year. Remove all the bolts holding the exhaust onto the bike. Remove the exhaust flange little nuts. From there you can 'wiggle and waggle' the exhaust to be able to get all the bolts out/links apart. Don't have to separate the crossover tube or pipes. If I remember correctly, the front of the exhaust can literally 'hang' onto the very edge of the studs at the front flanges. Use a jack to support the exhaust under/near/ the crossover tube. (Sorry I don't have any photos.)

The primary reason for having to drop the exhaust so far is to be able to withdraw the bolts that hold the front 'dogbones' to the frame. When you reassemble, install those bolts 'backwards'. That is, install the bolts from the 'inside' so that the nuts are on the outside next to the exhaust pipes. Next time you do this, you won't have to drop the exhaust nearly so far. It is possible to get a wrench between the pipes and the frame to tighten/remove the nuts.

Hope this helps. Let me know if any further words-of wisdom (?) (experience) might help.
Larry Zimmer
cbxlarry@sbcglobal.net

dougcbx

Post by dougcbx »

Thanks so much Larry for the tips. Experience is the greatest teacher. I've read where many people have found their seals to the links are shot. Do you know if these are still available, and if not, what to do next?
Thanks, Doug

Larry Zimmer

Post by Larry Zimmer »

Doug, check this website. http://www.partzilla.com/parts/search/H ... parts.html I bought mine here about 2 years ago. It would suggest that they are still available. Not cheap. But........ Most of mine were dried/cracked. I just replaced them all; even if they looked passable. I don't know a source for bushings should you need those. Hopefully, they are not too worn. Same for the 'collars' (the steel bearing cylinders that ride in the bushings.) Those can be likely be cleaned with some steel wool and be OK.
Larry Zimmer
cbxlarry@sbcglobal.net

Return to “HANDLING: Suspension, Gearing, Frame Bracing, Non X Handling Part Upgrades, Rim Replacement Options, and more”