Late Model (81/82) Rear Shock

swarrans
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Re: Late Model (81/82) Rear Shock

Post by swarrans »

cross wrote:The nut is off, it's just that the bolt would not move at all. I tried hitting it with hummer, turning it but no luck.
I did spray a lot of wd40 last night and I'll see how it goes today.
Thanks
A Hummer is quite a large vehicle, so if hitting it with that didn't shift it you might have problems....

Sorry - commenting on typos really must be the lowest form of wit, but it made me giggle!

Simon

cross
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by cross »

:)
It took me a while to figure out what you were talking about but I laughed once I realized that the joke is on me!

Sasha
Sasha

'82 Honda CBX
'99 Triumph TBS
'01 Honda Valkyrie

:auto-sportbike:

cross
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by cross »

Got the bolt out after applying some heat to it. Cleaned and re greased all collars and seals and installed everything back.
By the way, collar on the right side of the bike is rusted out so i cleaned it a bit and it is ok now but i did measure the collar on the top of the shock and it is exactly the same just longer. I'll take it to the machine shop and have it cut to 1.3" to replace it.
I haven't tightened any bolts yet but i can't move swing arm up at all, is it this shock so stiff or did i not do something right?

Thanks
Sasha

'82 Honda CBX
'99 Triumph TBS
'01 Honda Valkyrie

Larry Zimmer
ICOA Web Post/Pix/Video Archive Mgt

Post by Larry Zimmer »

Sasha,

I did not have to shorten/cut anything to install the shock. I'm a bit puzzled by that. The bottom fitting required just a 'nudge' with a plastic hammer to go into the link. But, just a slight tap. (The top actually had a slight lateral clearance.) Once everything is in-place, the swingarm will not move without having some vertical force applied. The shock/spring does have a fair bit of preload on it. But, the swingarm and linkage should move freely up to get everything into position. I don't remember if it's possible to assemble the rear linkage piece upside-down. That would cause some strange issue, though, if possible. If you're still having a problem, try to post some photos. I'll be glad to have a look.
Larry Zimmer
cbxlarry@sbcglobal.net

cross
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by cross »

What i meant is that one of the rod collars was rusted out so i'll be using old shocks top collar instead, i just have to have it shortened as the OD and ID are the same.
My shock didn't want to go in at all at the top so i had to adjust the top part on the shock ( don't know what its called), i just loosened the nut and turned the other end few turns and after tightening the nut, it slid in snugly. Bottom did have a bit of play but i adjusted that one too.
Swing arm and linkage did freely move until i installed shock. Everything is installed correctly though but when i try to lift swing arm up ( wheel is not mounted yet), it is not moving at all. I cant remember if it was that way before too but it seems solid now. When you say "Vertical force" you mean that when someone seats on the bike? In that case, moving the swing arm up, it should move too, no?
I'll post some pics later today.
When your bike is on the center stand with rear wheel lifted off the ground, can you move your swing arm and wheel upward?
Thanks
Sasha

'82 Honda CBX
'99 Triumph TBS
'01 Honda Valkyrie

Larry Zimmer

Post by Larry Zimmer »

Once everything is re-attached, with the bike on the centerstand, the rear wheel will be off the ground. You should be able to raise the back wheel some little amount using a bit of a lever (2x4, etc.) under the tire against the spring load of the shock. BE CAREFUL! If it just plain won't budge, something is assembled incorrectly and/or binding in the linkage. The bike SHOULD NOT raise off the center stand when applying a relatively light lifting load under the tire.

P.S. If I remember correctly, I could not move the swing arm up against the shock preload just by trying to raise it by hand before installing the tire.
Larry Zimmer
cbxlarry@sbcglobal.net

cross
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by cross »

Hi Larry,
I took everything apart again and reassembled it, torqued all bolts and I still couldn't move the swing arm by hand and that's before I installed the wheel so it is the same like you mentioned.
After installing the wheel, I took it off the center stand and when I sat on it, the bike did compress correctly.
I took it for a ride and man, what a difference! It is stupendous how good it as right out of the box.
I can only imagine what it will be like after I fine time it.

Thanks for all your help

Regards
Sasha
Sasha

'82 Honda CBX
'99 Triumph TBS
'01 Honda Valkyrie

Return to “HANDLING: Suspension, Gearing, Frame Bracing, Non X Handling Part Upgrades, Rim Replacement Options, and more”