Small sprocket assembly

Fojyie
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Small sprocket assembly

Post by Fojyie »

Well, it's been too long since I disassembled the countershaft sprocket, but it is time to reassemble it now. I am uncertain of the assembly order. I have the following: black ring, black ring with inner area, sprocket flat on one side and with a protursion on one side, o-ring, and large metal cover. The manual shows the metal cover out, then o-ring on bolt, sprocket (which way?) next, then it looks like the black washers (order?) inside next to the case.

Does this makes sense to you guys? Any pictures would be appreciated as well.

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Re: Small sprocket assembly

Post by daves79x »

Lay the sprocket down nose-up Next lay on the black ring, then the other plastic ring will slide down into it. Then the metal plate and bolt with o-ring on it bolts this all onto the countershaft.

Dave

Fojyie
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Fojyie »

Okay, so the big black ring next to case, next black ring, sprocket with protrusion toward case, o-ring on bolt and metal plate on flat side out of sprocket. Thanks, that is what I needed. It's been two and a half years coming together and that was one detail picture I failed to take. Thanks again Dave79x.

Fojyie
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Fojyie »

Wait, I think I said that wrong. Build from the sprocket up as you describe with the sprocket flat next to the case. Correct?

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Post by daves79x »

Yes, flat side goes toward the case. The dish of the metal plate goes in - the bolt won't start if you get it wrong, and the inside of the metal plate will be a lot cleaner than the outside. The o-ring seals the threaded hole in the countershaft.

Dave

Fojyie
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Fojyie »

Thanks Dave, that works perfectly as you say now, however, a new problem has arisen (I'm so lucky."
I ordered a new chain and sprockets (18T front, 42T rear, 108 links 530 chain). I put the wheel all of the way back on the adjusters and the chain is definitely too long. The combination I ordered is a common one used by many and stock for '80 I believe. However, the old chain came off with only 102 links on it. Is it possible that swingarm is a little shorter than others? I cannot see any modifications to the swing arm and the bike only had 17,400 miles on it. Is it possible some changed it for another bike's swing arm? BTW, it has bearning also, no bushing. Stumped on this one.

NobleHops
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by NobleHops »

We just did hash this out but I'll be darned if I can remember the number. Do a search for chain length and see what turns up. but as you learned it's definitely a lot shorter than 108. Either 102 or 104. Do you have a chain tool to shorten yours up? It's not too hard to do and you do have a few links to practice on. I'd lay in an extra master link if it's easy to do, but only from the same manufacturer.

Edit: I just did a search (upper right) and this was the recent thread, although not too definitive:

viewtopic.php?f=104&t=7166&hilit=chain+length+80

N.
Nils Menten
Tucson, Arizona, USA '80 CBX, sort-of restored :-)

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

NilsMenten wrote: but as you learned it's definitely a lot shorter than 108. Either 102 or 104. N.

That's it! 102 for most.

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Post by daves79x »

Do you have an '80? If so, 102 links for the 530 is correct, 104 with the 1100F swingarm conversion. 108 is for the Pro-Links. 102 also correct for the '79 if converted to the 530 chain, but you wouldn't have the rubber silencers that you have on a '79 unless you bought them separately.

Dave

Fojyie
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Fojyie »

Thanks guys for the help. The old chain was 530 (5/8" pin-to-pin) 102 links with a 18/42 sprocket upon double checking. I have a Motion Pro chain tool also to assist in this change. The vendor stated a 17T front would require the 102 chain, not the 108. Maybe he confused the '80 with a Pro-Links requirement. Anyway, with the adjusters about mid-way it looks like six links need to come off as expected, I will go conservative with four initially then do two more if prudent. BTY I'm getting close to restarting this 10+ year old idle bike after a frame-up restore. Almost three years for me to do. This site has been invaluable assistance, thanks to all of you folks.

Return to “HANDLING: Suspension, Gearing, Frame Bracing, Non X Handling Part Upgrades, Rim Replacement Options, and more”