Trouble Removing Lower Steering Stem Bearing

mults14
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Trouble Removing Lower Steering Stem Bearing

Post by mults14 »

Hi All,

I got my frame back from the powder coaters and have started to put the bike together. Originally I thought I could/would reuse the old steering bearings but upon close examination I saw some pitting on the outer races and decided to replace them. I have been trying to extract the lower bearing for about 1 week, the instructions show a screw driver removing the bearing and while I tried and failed I decided to be patient so I soaked the bearing/stem in penetrant over the course of the week hoping it would pay off, it did not. The bearing is frozen on the stem and I am at the point where I want to get the dremmel out and start grinding it off.

When I look carefully at the O.D. of the stem right before the bearing race I see some striations which leads me to believe the bearing race galled against the stem as it was installed and this is the root of my problems.

But before I commit to grinding out the bearing I wanted to ask if anyone else has had a similar issue and has any suggestions.

Also once the bearing is removed there should be now issue extracting the stem from the lower triple tree correct?

Thanks,
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Larry Zimmer
ICOA Web Post/Pix/Video Archive Mgt
ICOA Web Post/Pix/Video Archive Mgt

Re: Trouble Removing Lower Steering Stem Bearing

Post by Larry Zimmer »

I'd go with the dremel to remove the rollers by cutting through the cage. Then, take a torch and work it around the race for a while to get it to swell. Cutting that race with a dremel would be 'fun'. That suckers hard just about thru. Don't hold the heat in one place -- keep working it around. Then, try to get the tip of a cold chisel under the edge and work it up. Probably heat for 15 minutes if you're using propane. Just a few with acetylene. But, be careful with acetylene. You've got some stuff you don't want to damage there.

Hopefully, someone else has a better idea. Hopefully, Dave or Mike Nixon chime-in. Good luck.
Larry Zimmer
cbxlarry@sbcglobal.net

Don
Amazing Poster
Amazing Poster

Post by Don »

Drive the stem out of the lower tree and the bearing will come off with it

Properly support the lower tree on 2 blocks of wood, leaving just enough space between the blocks for the stem to fit between them. Place a block of wood on the top of the stem and give it a whack or two with a 3 pound hammer

Don

Rick Pope
ICOA Rally Director
ICOA Rally Director

Post by Rick Pope »

Remove the cage and rollers, then do as Larry suggests and warm the race. No need to get it really hot, but warmer than you can hold bare handed. Now pour some cool water through the hollow stem. The race should slip right off.
Rick Pope
Either garage is too small or we have too many bikes. Or Momma's car needs to go outside.

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Post by daves79x »

Don has the easiest at-home way. It'll drive right out. Or take it to a shop that has a press and press it out. What you have succeeded in doing with the screwdriver is ruining the dust seal under the bearing. You'll need a new one of those also. The races are tight on the stem - nothing particular wrong with yours. You'll need a driver to drive the new one on. A properly sized piece of PVC or iron pipe works fine.

But you did the right thing in replacing the bearings - any CBX with more than 20,000 miles needs them.

Dave

ajs350
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by ajs350 »

I replaced my steering head bearings last week and had the exact same problem as you in removing the lower bearing. Dave gave me the same instructions as Don has here and it worked for me. My only problem was that the wood I hit with the hammer was too soft and disintergrated so Dave suggested putting a small screw driver in the top of the stem and hitting that. It destroyed the screwdriver but the bearing released! Good luck. It will come off.
Ross
Last edited by ajs350 on Sun Jul 17, 2011 4:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mults14
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by mults14 »

Success! A three pound hammer (actually 2.8lbs is the closest I had) some wood blocking and an aluminum softener and I was able to drive out the stem through the lower triple tree and remove the bearing. As far as the dust seal goes, I was planning on replacing it from the get-go so I wasn’t worried about sacrificing it… Thanks everybody!

NobleHops
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by NobleHops »

Hey Mults, did you get welcomed? Welcome!
mults14 wrote:Hi All,

I got my frame back from the powder coaters and have started to put the bike together.

...snip...

Thanks,
Photos or it didn't happen!

Can we help? Nothing is more fun than a bike coming back together. Give us the low-down on your project please and a few photos.

Fun!

Again, welcome!

:text-welcomewave:

N.
Nils Menten
Tucson, Arizona, USA '80 CBX, sort-of restored :-)

mults14
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by mults14 »

Ok, I was thinking of starting a new thread on the resto, but I guess I can throw a few pics on this one. The bike is a 79', I purchased it as a basket case.... I have been collecting parts for a few months now including a new Sankei exhaust and sport kit. origionally I was just going to get her going again but.... as it goes with me and my projects, they just get out of hand and before I knew it it was completely apart...

This is how she arrived at home...
mini-CIMG5253.JPG
Then, the bike just fell apart! :lol:
mini-CIMG5454.JPG
I'll detail the resto in another thread... but here is the frame back from the powder coater, and re-assembly beginning in my guest bedroom :D (Just to hot in Miami right now!)
mini-CIMG5647.JPG
Anyway, I'm still scrounging for parts... I have rebuilt the alternator, stripped and painted the engine, machined new bronze (SAE 660) swingarm bushings and started replating the fasteners all to get looking like new... This is going to be one of those "long" projects...
mini-CIMG5613.JPG
mini-CIMG5618.JPG
mini-CIMG5622.JPG
Cheers everybody! Look forward to sharing the rest of my adventure! Thanks Again!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

NobleHops
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by NobleHops »

Awesome. Thank you. Please do setup a thread for your project and I'll go put some popcorn on. Let us know what you need, there are odds and ends of parts and stuff to be had here.

Best,

N.
Nils Menten
Tucson, Arizona, USA '80 CBX, sort-of restored :-)

oilheadron

Post by oilheadron »

What's an aluminum softener?? The answer may be obvious, but I've had a few beers tonight and it's just not coming to me. :)

Rick Pope
ICOA Rally Director
ICOA Rally Director

Post by Rick Pope »

I think he meant he's used a piece of aluminum rather than a wood block to soften the blows.
Rick Pope
Either garage is too small or we have too many bikes. Or Momma's car needs to go outside.

Return to “HANDLING: Suspension, Gearing, Frame Bracing, Non X Handling Part Upgrades, Rim Replacement Options, and more”