Steering head bearing replacement

ajs350
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Steering head bearing replacement

Post by ajs350 »

I am replacing the steering head bearings on my 80 but have come to a stop as I am having trouble removing the top steering head nut; the one that is right under the fuse box. I have the right tool but it will not budge. Any suggestions as to how to release it would be much appreciated.
Thanks
Ross

Rick Pope
ICOA Rally Director
ICOA Rally Director

Re: Steering head bearing replacement

Post by Rick Pope »

I would soak it with a quality penetrant, Kroil, PB Blaster, etc, NOT WD-40. Then take a large punch and hammer and "message" the outer edge of the nut. No need to hit hard, you don't want to be deforming anything. Light taps with a big hammer are much more controlable than whacking with a small hammer.

After a little soaking/tapping, it'll come right off.
Rick Pope
Either garage is too small or we have too many bikes. Or Momma's car needs to go outside.

ajs350
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by ajs350 »

Thanks. I used some penetrating fluid and a long breaker bar and off it came!

NobleHops
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by NobleHops »

ajs350 wrote:Thanks. I used some penetrating fluid and a long breaker bar and off it came!
Ross,

Kent has my steering head tools, including a spring scale and both special tools for both of those funky nuts. There are also bearing drivers and a race removal tool. They are due back to me in a few weeks, but I can detour them to you if you could use them.

I would advise carefully following the tightening instructions in the manual (in the '80 supplement?) or Mike Nixon's reprisal of them on his site.

http://www.motorcycleproject.com/motorc ... cking.html

I got mine too tight the first time and it weaved like a drunken sailor. Redid them with the spring scale and they came out perfect. Way better to do it right the first time :-).

N.
Nils Menten
Tucson, Arizona, USA '80 CBX, sort-of restored :-)

ajs350
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by ajs350 »

Nils
Dave was good enough to lend me his socket tools so I am good there. I will re-read the tightening instructions again to make sure I get it right.
Thanks
Ross

kbart1
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by kbart1 »

hey guys

i have my frame back from powder coating and i am racing like mad to get Nils his tools back. i am all ready to do this but i have come across 1 snag. the lower steering stem bearing is giving me trouble! how the heck do you remove this as it is pressed on. the manual says to "remove if nesc." but it doesn't tell you how to "slide" it off the stem??? any advise. i even put the whole unit in the freezer and heated up the bearing hoping it would expand and slide off the frozen stem, no go. any quick advise would be much appreciated.

thanks a lot!
kent

NobleHops
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by NobleHops »

kbart1 wrote:hey guys

i have my frame back from powder coating and i am racing like mad to get Nils his tools back. i am all ready to do this but i have come across 1 snag. the lower steering stem bearing is giving me trouble! how the heck do you remove this as it is pressed on. the manual says to "remove if nesc." but it doesn't tell you how to "slide" it off the stem??? any advise. i even put the whole unit in the freezer and heated up the bearing hoping it would expand and slide off the frozen stem, no go. any quick advise would be much appreciated.

thanks a lot!
kent
Kent, you've got 3 more weeks before I bloody my knuckles again. No worries.

This just got discussed in a different thread, Don and Dave describe driving the stem out of the lower triple, and the lower bearing race with it. Then you would of course have to drive the stem back in. For my part I Dremeled off the bearing but it was tricky and nervewrackng trying to avoid the stem with the cutoff wheel.

When I tear into the H2 I will drive out the stem.

N.

N.
Nils Menten

NobleHops
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by NobleHops »

Nils Menten

Return to “HANDLING: Suspension, Gearing, Frame Bracing, Non X Handling Part Upgrades, Rim Replacement Options, and more”