Sport Kit - What's included

ajs350
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Sport Kit - What's included

Post by ajs350 »

I'm considering looking for a sport kit for my 80. I believe these consist of foot plates, throttle switch cluster, gear linkage, handle bars and throttle cables. Am I missing anything?
Also I saw from another post that the spindle hole on the foot plates for an 80 is larger than the 79. Will a 79 kit work if I have the hole drilled out to the larger size or are there other differences too.
Thanks
Ross

tevan
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Re: Sport Kit - What's included

Post by tevan »

You can drill the hole out I believe. choke cable, left and right switches on bars.

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

The original "Sport Kit" does include a few parts you do not necessarily need. I see, that the clutch cable was not mentioned and neither was the brake pivot and the top brake line to the splitter, just to complete the whole list.
The only difference between 79 and 80 kit are the holes for the swingarm axle in the footpeg plates, as the 80 had a 16mm vs 14mm swingarm pivot axle. And the hole can be drilled.

NobleHops
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by NobleHops »

EMS wrote:The original "Sport Kit" does include a few parts you do not necessarily need. I see, that the clutch cable was not mentioned and neither was the brake pivot and the top brake line to the splitter, just to complete the whole list.
The only diffrenec between 79 and 80 kit are the holes for the swingarm axle in the footpeg plates, as the 80 had a 16mm vs 14mm swingarm pivot axle. And the hole can be drilled.
Yeah, easy-peasy to drill those out. As mentioned the cables and brake lines are commodity items, and the throttle-side switch housing with the upward-facing cables can be sourced from other models. I'm pretty sure that my bars are slightly longer Interceptor bars. The brake spindle is really superfluous. The only parts you pretty much have to get OEM to get the setup (albeit not a true sport kit for the sake of the purists) are the footrests and the shifter linkage, and the shifter linkage could be reproduced easily if somebody would commission a batch of machined linkage rods.

N.
Nils Menten
Tucson, Arizona, USA '80 CBX, sort-of restored :-)

ajs350
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by ajs350 »

Thanks everyone. Now I know what I'm looking for!
Ross

Return to “HANDLING: Suspension, Gearing, Frame Bracing, Non X Handling Part Upgrades, Rim Replacement Options, and more”