Rear Shocks

Neiko1967
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Re: Rear Shocks

Post by Neiko1967 »

I got a brand new chain and sprockets as well as exhaust.

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Post by daves79x »

Then the right shock will hit the caliper as mentioned. Either fab a 1/2 inch longer custom torque arm or mod the stock one. Or try them backwards, but I don't like the look.

Dave

wyly
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by wyly »

I spotted these TEC shocks on Ebay and for the price offered they must be crap but I checked into them and found some good endorsements, buyers seem to be happy with improved rides.

For only $150 I figure I didn't have much to lose, I won't know until riding season in another three months if it was a good buy.

CBX a work in progress, still improving...GS1150EFE completed and awaiting modifications.....RD350, remnants in boxes scattered throughout the garage

Tripnut
New Member & Happy To Be Here
New Member & Happy To Be Here

Post by Tripnut »

I had a CBX in the early 80's with standard rear shocks (UK spec) and found that the bike actually handled better two up (I was thinner then). I am in the process of rebuilding a CBX and am going to replace the aftermarket Marzocci shocks back to standard. I always found that aftermarket shocks were always over damped for the road because the road testers at the magazines always wanted to test on the track where the road is smooth and lots of damping improves turn in and flatters the rider.
Every road test of every bike in the 80's always had a gripe about the shocks, I put it down to the mags wanting the adverts from the aftermarket shock manufacturers. I production raced on standard shocks (not CBX) without any issues. IOM TT spec seems to be more spring and less damping so if you ride fast on the road that's what you should be looking for.
Honda CBX1000Z 1978
Kawasaki H2A 1973
Kawasaki H2C 1975
Kawasaki H1E 1974
Yamaha R1 2009
Harley Davidson XR1200X

Return to “HANDLING: Suspension, Gearing, Frame Bracing, Non X Handling Part Upgrades, Rim Replacement Options, and more”