Progressive 465 Shocks

JayDog
New Member & Happy To Be Here

Progressive 465 Shocks

Post by JayDog »

I have a 79 CBX and was looking at a new set of Progressive rear shocks, Series 465 but they are indicated only for the 81-82. I am sure there is a good reason why but being a new owner I was curious why they won't fit the 79-80 as well? Most of the shocks that are out there that say they are for the 79 are actually eye to eye instead of eye to clevis so I trust y'all much more than the vendors. Thanks.

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Re: Progressive 465 Shocks

Post by EMS »

Welcome to the ICOA forum, JayDog!

The rear suspension on a 79 CBX is completely different from an 81/82. The 79 (and the 80) has a conventional swingarm with two ("stereo") shocks while the 81/82 has a "Prolink" rear suspension swingarm with a single shock (monoshock) in the center of the frame.

If they list a shocks for the 81/82, it should be only one and is not applicable to a 79.

The original 79 shock mounts with a thread for the bottom bolt in the shock, thus the clevis. The swingarm will not accept an eye-to-eye mount shock as the lower eye will not attach to the swingarm.

JayDog

Post by JayDog »

Thanks. That is what I thought from the microfiche. But these 465's are eye to clevis which is what confused me (I thought they would be 79-80 only instead of the other way around). Any way, thanks for at confirming that they are different.

oilheadron

Post by oilheadron »

Progressive makes a nice set of 12 Series shocks for your '79. I put a set on mine last night and so far, so good. Check out a Parts Unlimited Street Book. (Or you can call me for more info.)

NobleHops
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by NobleHops »

oilheadron wrote:Progressive makes a nice set of 12 Series shocks for your '79. I put a set on mine last night and so far, so good. Check out a Parts Unlimited Street Book. (Or you can call me for more info.)
...but if you are heavier than 175 it will be woefully undersprung. Make thevendor match your springs from the get-go!

N.
Nils Menten
Tucson, Arizona, USA '80 CBX, sort-of restored :-)

oilheadron

Post by oilheadron »

The dampers are sold without springs. I selected springs that seemed appropriate for me (I'm a former suspension Engineer), and I'm happy with the apparent balance of the bike (the bounce test can tell you a LOT). BUT, (a HUGE BUTT :)) I haven't ridden it yet!!!! More later. :)

Return to “HANDLING: Suspension, Gearing, Frame Bracing, Non X Handling Part Upgrades, Rim Replacement Options, and more”