18" wheels and original front mudguard

paxo
New Member & Happy To Be Here

18" wheels and original front mudguard

Post by paxo »

ive just had my 18" dymags refurbed (ex Dymag manager Steve Turner has set up his own company refurbing them after Dymags sad demise....an absolutely 1st class job he has done too!!) and finally got round to putting them on the cbx. Might seem an easy question but my original front mudguard sits far too high and as its pretty much still mint i dont really want to drill any holes in it unless i really have to. Im sure someone out there has had the same issue ? Is there another bike etc that i could use a mudguard off thats a good fit or do i just need to look at aftermarket stuff ? Cheers Paxo

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Re: 18" wheels and original front mudguard

Post by daves79x »

Paxo:
You are kind of stuck if you don't want to drill new holes. Any Honda fender from that era (late model CBX, 900F, 1100F) will fit, with a little fiddling, but the problem is that the CBX fork mounts the fender for a 19 inch wheel - no matter what you use. I'd get another fender, fit it, then have it painted. Keep your good one for whatever.

Dave

alimey4u2
ICOA Web Video Director
ICOA Web Video Director

Post by alimey4u2 »

Use a Bridgestone Battleaxe 110/90-18 front tire.....PS. Do you have Steves new contact info ??

ICOA # 656

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

When I had the 18" Comstars on my 79, I used a CB900F fender painted Candy Glory Red and elongated the holes. This did suffice to lower the fender for a decent look. Like Larry said, the tire may make a difference also. However, I never ran the bike in the mud...... :face: :mrgreen:

paxo

Post by paxo »

cheers for the advice and help folks.......ive just fitted new Avon Storm 2's and ive gone for a 110/80 on the front, maybe if id gone for a 110/90 as you suggest it wouldnt be so bad. Nice looking bike by the way! What brake caliper/disc setup have you got on ?
Steve Turners (ex Dymag) new company website is www.tpcs-magnesium-refurbs.co.uk

alimey4u2
ICOA Web Video Director
ICOA Web Video Director

Post by alimey4u2 »

Thanks for that, I'll keep that addy noted. They're Performance Machine 13 inch discs & calipers, I don't think you can get them for a CBX now, bought them about 12 years ago ...Got the seat sorted now with siderails & strap from Oz...
ICOA # 656

steve murdoch icoa #5322
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by steve murdoch icoa #5322 »

alimey4u2 wrote:Use a Bridgestone Battleaxe 110/90-18 front tire.....PS. Do you have Steves new contact info ??

Never tire of seeing your beauty, Larry.
Hey won't this return to work cut into your riding time?

Paxo, i have a set of Avon RoadRiders on a GS1000, can you please report back with your opinion on the Storms after you have put some miles on them.

alimey4u2
ICOA Web Video Director
ICOA Web Video Director

Post by alimey4u2 »

I'll be riding to work Steve until the weather turns cold. Most of the time I'll use my 1200GS but I'm sure I'll be doing the run on my CBX on nice sunny days... :wink:
ICOA # 656

paxo

Post by paxo »

steve murdoch icoa #5322 wrote:
alimey4u2 wrote:Use a Bridgestone Battleaxe 110/90-18 front tire.....PS. Do you have Steves new contact info ??

Never tire of seeing your beauty, Larry.
Hey won't this return to work cut into your riding time?

Paxo, i have a set of Avon RoadRiders on a GS1000, can you please report back with your opinion on the Storms after you have put some miles on them.
Yep no problem.....ive only heard good reviews so far and im hoping they are good in the wet....quite important with the british weather !!

Return to “HANDLING: Suspension, Gearing, Frame Bracing, Non X Handling Part Upgrades, Rim Replacement Options, and more”