Fork Tube Lowers-stud repalcement

Samelak
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Fork Tube Lowers-stud repalcement

Post by Samelak »

Has anyone replace the two studs on the lower portion of the fork tubes where the caps mount on to? Mine are corroded and need repalcement. Are they pressed in or screwed in? What about a repalcement part number?

Terry
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Terry »

I replaced a couple due to a stripped thread and nut during a tire change. They are screwed in but very tightly. Look here for some more info (its only confusing at the start). Very inexpensive for brand new nuts and studs. I took my stud and nuts in and they had a measuring scale for thread size and length etc.

viewtopic.php?t=5239&highlight=
It ain't the destination, its the journey...

Samelak
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Samelak »

It is good to know that the studs are screwed in. Do you recall the measurements for the studs and possibly source to order online from? I don't speak Japanese, so I have no clue where to go out here for them.

Thanks, Lee

alimey4u2
ICOA Web Video Director
ICOA Web Video Director

Post by alimey4u2 »

Lee, Try to double lock nut a portion of the stud, place the lower fork leg in an oven ( make sure your wife doesn't know.) & Heat for about 1/2 hour. You will find that they will come out fairly easily.... It's a uniform heat so it won't distort the leg. No luck double lock "nutting", use vice grips with sharp teeth/jaws & clamp it on as hard as you can....

I bought new studs a year ago, let me do some research.....

8mm X 50mm studs. Bike Bandit part # 246268-001

$ 1.05 each
ICOA # 656

Return to “HANDLING: Suspension, Gearing, Frame Bracing, Non X Handling Part Upgrades, Rim Replacement Options, and more”