Front Fork Air Pressure

Mopar_Tony_SF1
Power Poster
Power Poster

Front Fork Air Pressure

Post by Mopar_Tony_SF1 »

Anybody here running air caps on a 79? What pressure do you like them pumped up to?

Z Grand
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Z Grand »

I have air caps on my '79 -- I run them at about 10 PSI.

George R. Garrison #0857
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Air Caps

Post by George R. Garrison #0857 »

Z GRAND - What difference have you noticed since running air caps on the early X?

Have you tried different pressures with any degree of change?

Has the addition of air caps with pressure created any leaking problems?

Any notice of different tire wear patterns?

How about front end wobble, has it increased or decreased or remained the same? That's if you had any wobble before.

Idle questions from an idle mind.

George in Delaware.
I'm into motorcycles, wooden boats, airplanes, wood working and car restoration.

Don
Amazing Poster
Amazing Poster

Post by Don »

I run 6 or 7 psi in the ProLink forks on my '79 - They were just too soft with no air, especially under heavy braking . . . . which is possible with the 1100F brakes. I'm going to try adding a half inch spacer on top of the springs this winter and see how that changes things next spring

Don

Z Grand
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Re: Air Caps

Post by Z Grand »

George R. Garrison #0857 wrote:Z GRAND - What difference have you noticed since running air caps on the early X?

Have you tried different pressures with any degree of change?

Has the addition of air caps with pressure created any leaking problems?

Any notice of different tire wear patterns?

How about front end wobble, has it increased or decreased or remained the same? That's if you had any wobble before.

Idle questions from an idle mind.

George in Delaware.
The forks had been re-worked by Tim's using '80 model components before I bought the bike, so I can't really say how much difference there is vs. stock. I have not noticed any leaking, and the tire seems to wear very evenly. My bike also has a fork brace, so I have not noticed any front end wobble (though I admittedly don't ride the bike very hard). I've never run the bike without air in the forks, so I don't really know how much difference it really makes. Hope this helps.

Return to “HANDLING: Suspension, Gearing, Frame Bracing, Non X Handling Part Upgrades, Rim Replacement Options, and more”